It is hard to guess what a Giant muntjac weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Giant muntjac (Muntiacus vuquangensis) on average weights 36.69 kg (80.89 lbs).
The Giant muntjac is from the family Cervidae (genus: Muntiacus). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 91.8 cm (3′ 1″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The giant muntjac, (Muntiacus vuquangensis), sometimes referred to as the large-antlered muntjac, is a species of muntjac deer. It is the largest muntjac species and was discovered in 1994 in Vũ Quang, Hà Tĩnh Province of Vietnam and in central Laos. During inundation of the Nakai Reservoir in Khammouane Province of Laos for the Nam Theun 2 Multi-Purpose Project, 38 giant muntjac were captured, studied, and released into the adjacent Nakai-Nam Theun National Protected Area. Subsequent radio-tracking of a sample of these animals showed the relocation was successful. The species is also located in parts of eastern Cambodia, as well as the Trường Sơn Mountains.The giant muntjac is commonly found in evergreen forests and weighs about 66–110 lb (30–50 kg). It has a red-brown coat and is an even-toed ungulate. Due to slash-and-burn agriculture, combined with hunting, the giant muntjac is considered critically endangered. It is preyed upon by animals such as the tiger and leopard. It is most closely related to the Indian muntjac.
Animals of the same family as a Giant muntjac
We found other animals of the Cervidae family:
- Schomburgk’s deer bringing 107.63 kilos (237.28 lbs) to the scale
- Pudú bringing 9.6 kilos (21.16 lbs) to the scale
- Water deer bringing 12.73 kilos (28.06 lbs) to the scale
- Gongshan muntjac bringing 18.45 kilos (40.68 lbs) to the scale
- Barasingha bringing 171.22 kilos (377.48 lbs) to the scale
- Tufted deer bringing 23.04 kilos (50.79 lbs) to the scale
- Eld’s deer bringing 94.7 kilos (208.78 lbs) to the scale
- Moose bringing 471.45 kilos (1039.37 lbs) to the scale
- Mule deer bringing 84.31 kilos (185.87 lbs) to the scale
- Thorold’s deer bringing 161.68 kilos (356.44 lbs) to the scale
Animals with the same weight as a Giant muntjac
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Muntiacus vuquangensis:
- Indian hog deer with a weight of 37.27 kilos (82.17 lbs)
- Vaquita with a weight of 43.11 kilos (95.04 lbs)
- Brown hyena with a weight of 43.4 kilos (95.68 lbs)
- Saiga antelope with a weight of 37.57 kilos (82.83 lbs)
- Sheep with a weight of 37.47 kilos (82.61 lbs)
- Giant armadillo with a weight of 41.33 kilos (91.12 lbs)
- Siberian roe deer with a weight of 41.19 kilos (90.81 lbs)
- Striped hyena with a weight of 35.09 kilos (77.36 lbs)
- Calamian deer with a weight of 39.66 kilos (87.44 lbs)
- Red kangaroo with a weight of 38.98 kilos (85.94 lbs)