It is hard to guess what a Guinean gerbil weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Guinean gerbil (Gerbilliscus guineae) on average weights 102 grams (0.22 lbs).
The Guinean gerbil is from the family Muridae (genus: Gerbilliscus). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 15.4 cm (0′ 7″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The Guinean gerbil (Gerbilliscus guineae) is a species of gerbil found in Burkina Faso, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Mali, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and possibly Liberia. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests, dry savanna, rocky areas and arable land, but it is mostly found in areas laterite or clay soils, and with variable amounts of vegetation and dense scrub. This species is described as common and has a stable population and a wide distribution, so the International Union for Conservation of Nature has rated its conservation status as being of “least concern”.
Animals of the same family as a Guinean gerbil
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Mesquite mouse with a weight of 40 grams
- Ranee mouse with a size of 7.5 cm (0′ 3″)
- Large New Guinea spiny rat with a weight of 194 grams
- Chiriqui harvest mouse with a weight of 22 grams
- Natal multimammate mouse with a weight of 49 grams
- Large mosaic-tailed rat with a weight of 210 grams
- Chiriqui brown mouse with a weight of 15 grams
- Lesser ranee mouse with a size of 6.5 cm (0′ 3″)
- Steppe lemming with a weight of 20 grams
- Guatemalan deer mouse with a weight of 40 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Guinean gerbil
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Gerbilliscus guineae:
- California kangaroo rat bringing 85 grams to the scale
- Northern palm squirrel bringing 102 grams to the scale
- Southern three-striped opossum bringing 112 grams to the scale
- Betsileo short-tailed rat bringing 93 grams to the scale
- Garden dormouse bringing 115 grams to the scale
- Fringe-tailed gerbil bringing 95 grams to the scale
- Lowland mosaic-tailed rat bringing 85 grams to the scale
- Zempoaltepec deer mouse bringing 85 grams to the scale
- Romanian hamster bringing 97 grams to the scale
- Highland streaked tenrec bringing 102 grams to the scale