It is hard to guess what a Hoary marmot weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Hoary marmot (Marmota caligata) on average weights 2.25 kg (4.96 lbs).
The Hoary marmot is from the family Sciuridae (genus: Marmota). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 40.6 cm (1′ 4″). Usually, Hoary marmots have 4 babies per litter.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The hoary marmot (Marmota caligata) is a species of marmot that inhabits the mountains of northwest North America. Hoary marmots live near the tree line on slopes with grasses and forbs to eat and rocky areas for cover.It is the largest North American ground squirrel and is often nicknamed “the whistler” for its high-pitched warning issued to alert other members of the colony to possible danger. The animals are sometimes called “whistle pigs”. Whistler, British Columbia, originally London Mountain because of its heavy fogs and rain, was renamed after these animals to help make it more marketable as a resort. The closest relatives of the species are the yellow-bellied, Olympic, and Vancouver Island marmots, although the exact relationships are unclear.
Animals of the same family as a Hoary marmot
We found other animals of the Sciuridae family:
- Mexican fox squirrel with a weight of 697 grams
- Grizzled giant squirrel bringing 1.33 kilos (2.93 lbs) to the scale
- Indochinese flying squirrel with a weight of 227 grams
- Speckled ground squirrel with a weight of 252 grams
- Whiskered flying squirrel with a weight of 108 grams
- Columbian ground squirrel with a weight of 471 grams
- Cliff chipmunk with a weight of 63 grams
- Jungle palm squirrel with a weight of 135 grams
- Smith’s bush squirrel with a weight of 222 grams
- Indian giant flying squirrel bringing 1.68 kilos (3.7 lbs) to the scale
Animals with the same weight as a Hoary marmot
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Marmota caligata:
- Common brushtail possum with a weight of 2.69 kilos (5.93 lbs)
- Monk saki with a weight of 2.11 kilos (4.65 lbs)
- Asiatic brush-tailed porcupine with a weight of 2 kilos (4.41 lbs)
- Mexican cottontail with a weight of 2.49 kilos (5.49 lbs)
- Cape hare with a weight of 2.05 kilos (4.52 lbs)
- Granada hare with a weight of 2.33 kilos (5.14 lbs)
- Rothschild’s porcupine with a weight of 2 kilos (4.41 lbs)
- White-sided jackrabbit with a weight of 2.61 kilos (5.75 lbs)
- Japanese hare with a weight of 2.53 kilos (5.58 lbs)
- Red-bellied lemur with a weight of 2.03 kilos (4.48 lbs)
Animals with the same litter size as a Hoary marmot
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (4) as a Hoary marmot: