It is hard to guess what a Kemp’s gerbil weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Kemp’s gerbil (Gerbilliscus kempi) on average weights 100 grams (0.22 lbs).
The Kemp’s gerbil is from the family Muridae (genus: Gerbilliscus). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 16 cm (0′ 7″). Usually, Kemp’s gerbils have 4 babies per litter.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
Kemp’s gerbil (Gerbilliscus kempi) is a species of gerbil found in Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Mali, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Togo, Uganda, and possibly Liberia. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests, dry savanna, subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, arable land, and pastureland.
Animals of the same family as a Kemp’s gerbil
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Macmillan’s thicket rat with a weight of 37 grams
- Polynesian rat with a weight of 50 grams
- Koford’s grass mouse with a weight of 29 grams
- Pseudoryzomys with a weight of 45 grams
- Red-bellied mosaic-tailed rat with a weight of 78 grams
- Singing vole with a weight of 41 grams
- Robert’s snow vole with 1 babies per litter
- Wood mouse with a weight of 21 grams
- Long-tailed giant rat with a weight of 349 grams
- Woodland Oldfield mouse with a weight of 77 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Kemp’s gerbil
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Gerbilliscus kempi:
- Spy hocicudo bringing 81 grams to the scale
- Eastern mole bringing 87 grams to the scale
- European water vole bringing 120 grams to the scale
- Tsing-ling pika bringing 105 grams to the scale
- Slender rat bringing 97 grams to the scale
- Angoni vlei rat bringing 100 grams to the scale
- Big-eared hopping mouse bringing 89 grams to the scale
- Leschenault’s rousette bringing 84 grams to the scale
- Sloggett’s vlei rat bringing 106 grams to the scale
- Hispid cotton rat bringing 111 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Kemp’s gerbil
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (4) as a Kemp’s gerbil: