It is hard to guess what a Lac Alaotra bamboo lemur weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Lac Alaotra bamboo lemur (Hapalemur alaotrensis) on average weights 1.62 kg (3.56 lbs).
The Lac Alaotra bamboo lemur is from the family Lemuridae (genus: Hapalemur). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 57.3 cm (1′ 11″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The Lac Alaotra bamboo lemur (Hapalemur alaotrensis), also known as the Lac Alaotra gentle lemur, Alaotran bamboo lemur, Alaotran gentle lemur, Alaotra reed lemur, or locally as the bandro, is a bamboo lemur. It is endemic to the reed beds in and around Lac Alaotra, in northeast Madagascar. It is about 40 cm (16 in) long, with a similar length tail, and is a brownish-gray colour. It is the only bamboo lemur to live in and feed on papyrus reeds, and other reeds and grasses, and some authorities argue that it should be regarded as a subspecies of the eastern lesser bamboo lemur (Hapalemur griseus). The population of this lemur has been declining because of habitat destruction and the International Union for Conservation of Nature has rated it as being “critically endangered”.
Animals of the same family as a Lac Alaotra bamboo lemur
We found other animals of the Lemuridae family:
- Greater bamboo lemur bringing 2.04 kilos (4.5 lbs) to the scale
- Eastern lesser bamboo lemur with a weight of 936 grams
- Black-and-white ruffed lemur bringing 3.86 kilos (8.51 lbs) to the scale
- Golden bamboo lemur bringing 1.57 kilos (3.46 lbs) to the scale
- Red ruffed lemur bringing 3.87 kilos (8.53 lbs) to the scale
- Greater bamboo lemur bringing 2.03 kilos (4.48 lbs) to the scale
- Black lemur bringing 2.48 kilos (5.47 lbs) to the scale
- Common brown lemur bringing 2.38 kilos (5.25 lbs) to the scale
- Sanford’s brown lemur bringing 2.39 kilos (5.27 lbs) to the scale
- Ring-tailed lemur bringing 2.63 kilos (5.8 lbs) to the scale
Animals with the same weight as a Lac Alaotra bamboo lemur
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Hapalemur alaotrensis:
- Sumatran striped rabbit with a weight of 1.51 kilos (3.33 lbs)
- Chacoan mara with a weight of 1.61 kilos (3.55 lbs)
- Nasuella olivacea with a weight of 1.34 kilos (2.95 lbs)
- Aquatic genet with a weight of 1.65 kilos (3.64 lbs)
- Gilbert’s potoroo with a weight of 1.57 kilos (3.46 lbs)
- Lake Mackay hare-wallaby with a weight of 1.5 kilos (3.31 lbs)
- Malagasy civet with a weight of 1.86 kilos (4.1 lbs)
- Steppe polecat with a weight of 1.69 kilos (3.73 lbs)
- Nabarlek with a weight of 1.4 kilos (3.09 lbs)
- Tufted ground squirrel with a weight of 1.35 kilos (2.98 lbs)