It is hard to guess what a Pennant’s colobus weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Pennant’s colobus (Piliocolobus pennantii) on average weights 10.9 kg (24.02 lbs).
The Pennant’s colobus is from the family Cercopithecidae (genus: Piliocolobus). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 57.4 cm (1′ 11″). Usually, Pennant’s colobuss have 1 babies per litter.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
Pennant’s colobus or Pennant’s red colobus (Piliocolobus pennantii) is a species of tree-dwelling primate in the family Cercopithecidae. It is endemic to tropical Central Africa. Three subspecies have traditionally been recognised but its distribution is peculiarly disjunct and has been considered a biogeographical puzzle. with one population on the island of Bioko (Equatorial Guinea), a second in the Niger River Delta in southern Nigeria, and a third in east-central Republic of Congo. It is found in rainforests and marshy forests. It is threatened by habitat loss and hunting for bushmeat. One subspecies, bouvieri, is rated as critically endangered; although it was last photographically documented in 2015, it may be on the brink of extinction.
Animals of the same family as a Pennant’s colobus
We found other animals of the Cercopithecidae family:
- East Javan langur bringing 9.72 kilos (21.43 lbs) to the scale
- Mandrill bringing 16.74 kilos (36.91 lbs) to the scale
- Grey-cheeked mangabey bringing 7.39 kilos (16.29 lbs) to the scale
- Hose’s langur bringing 6.29 kilos (13.87 lbs) to the scale
- Tonkin snub-nosed monkey bringing 9.09 kilos (20.04 lbs) to the scale
- Black-crested Sumatran langur bringing 6.45 kilos (14.22 lbs) to the scale
- Javan surili bringing 6.57 kilos (14.48 lbs) to the scale
- Lion-tailed macaque bringing 6 kilos (13.23 lbs) to the scale
- Tana River red colobus bringing 8.07 kilos (17.79 lbs) to the scale
- Angola colobus bringing 8.99 kilos (19.82 lbs) to the scale
Animals with the same weight as a Pennant’s colobus
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Piliocolobus pennantii:
- Sharpe’s grysbok with a weight of 9.37 kilos (20.66 lbs)
- Pacarana with a weight of 12.5 kilos (27.56 lbs)
- Black-headed spider monkey with a weight of 9.07 kilos (20 lbs)
- Serval with a weight of 11.9 kilos (26.23 lbs)
- Barbary macaque with a weight of 11.49 kilos (25.33 lbs)
- Stump-tailed macaque with a weight of 9.38 kilos (20.68 lbs)
- African golden cat with a weight of 11.29 kilos (24.89 lbs)
- Roosevelt’s muntjac with a weight of 10.76 kilos (23.72 lbs)
- European badger with a weight of 11.89 kilos (26.21 lbs)
- Water chevrotain with a weight of 10.83 kilos (23.88 lbs)
Animals with the same litter size as a Pennant’s colobus
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (1) as a Pennant’s colobus: