It is hard to guess what a Rusty pipistrelle weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Rusty pipistrelle (Pipistrellus rusticus) on average weights 4 grams (0.01 lbs).
The Rusty pipistrelle is from the family Vespertilionidae (genus: Pipistrellus). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 4.4 cm (0′ 2″). On average, Rusty pipistrelles can have babies 1 times per year with a litter size of 1.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The rusty pipistrelle (Pipistrellus rusticus) is a species of vesper bat. It is found in Angola, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Chad, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Its natural habitats are dry and moist savanna. It is of note as perhaps Africa’s smallest bat, at average weight of 3.5 g (0.12 oz).
Animals of the same family as a Rusty pipistrelle
We found other animals of the Vespertilionidae family:
- Kelaart’s pipistrelle with a weight of 8 grams
- Allen’s big-eared bat with a weight of 12 grams
- Eastern long-eared bat with a weight of 9 grams
- Surat serotine with a weight of 13 grams
- Little forest bat with a weight of 3 grams
- Banana pipistrelle with a weight of 3 grams
- Zulu serotine with a weight of 4 grams
- Pipistrellus mimus with a weight of 2 grams
- Pond bat with a weight of 15 grams
- Cape serotine with a weight of 6 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Rusty pipistrelle
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Pipistrellus rusticus:
- Brown tube-nosed bat bringing 4 grams to the scale
- Spix’s disk-winged bat bringing 4 grams to the scale
- Lesser bamboo bat bringing 4 grams to the scale
- Pipistrellus babu bringing 4 grams to the scale
- Yellow-lipped bat bringing 4 grams to the scale
- Long-tailed shrew bringing 4 grams to the scale
- Maclaud’s horseshoe bat bringing 4 grams to the scale
- Painted bat bringing 4 grams to the scale
- Delany’s mouse bringing 4 grams to the scale
- Kerivoula hardwickei bringing 4 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Rusty pipistrelle
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (1) as a Rusty pipistrelle: