It is hard to guess what a Banana pipistrelle weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Banana pipistrelle (Pipistrellus nanus) on average weights 3 grams (0.01 lbs).
The Banana pipistrelle is from the family Vespertilionidae (genus: Pipistrellus). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 4.5 cm (0′ 2″). On average, Banana pipistrelles can have babies 1 times per year with a litter size of 1.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The banana pipistrelle (Neoromicia nana) is a species of vesper bat found throughout much of Africa. It was previously known as Pipistrellus nanus, but genetic analysis has since shown it to be more closely related to other species in the genus Neoromicia.
Animals of the same family as a Banana pipistrelle
We found other animals of the Vespertilionidae family:
- Japanese house bat with a weight of 5 grams
- Curacao myotis with a weight of 3 grams
- Van Gelder’s bat with a weight of 22 grams
- Bronze tube-nosed bat with a weight of 7 grams
- Broad-headed pipistrelle with a weight of 6 grams
- Arabian pipistrelle with a weight of 3 grams
- Little broad-nosed bat with a weight of 10 grams
- Nut-colored yellow bat with a weight of 30 grams
- Allen’s big-eared bat with a weight of 12 grams
- Greenish yellow bat with a weight of 19 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Banana pipistrelle
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Pipistrellus nanus:
- Curacao myotis bringing 3 grams to the scale
- Little forest bat bringing 3 grams to the scale
- Ashy roundleaf bat bringing 3 grams to the scale
- Heller’s pipistrelle bringing 3 grams to the scale
- Pygmy shrew tenrec bringing 3 grams to the scale
- Spurrell’s woolly bat bringing 3 grams to the scale
- Frosted sac-winged bat bringing 3 grams to the scale
- Canyon bat bringing 3 grams to the scale
- Angulate pipistrelle bringing 3 grams to the scale
- Arabian pipistrelle bringing 3 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Banana pipistrelle
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (1) as a Banana pipistrelle: