It is hard to guess what a Southern ningaui weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Southern ningaui (Ningaui yvonnae) on average weights 9 grams (0.02 lbs).
The Southern ningaui is from the family Dasyuridae (genus: Ningaui). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 7.8 cm (0′ 4″). On average, Southern ningauis can have babies 2 times per year with a litter size of 7.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
Southern ningaui refers to Ningaui yvonneae, a tiny marsupial carnivore related to the Dasyuridae family. Similar in appearance to Ningaui ridei, found throughout central Australia, this species occurs in spinifex on semi-arid sandplains across the southern coast of the continent. The fur is a tawny or greyish olive colour, light grey below, and distinguished by shades of cinnamon. Ningaui yvonneae prefers smaller prey, including insects and spiders, but capable of killing and consuming larger animals such as cockroaches and skinks. Their narrow muzzle is used with quick and fierce bites about the head to despatch their meal. The species description was published in 1983, unknown until the closer examination of the genus Ningaui established in 1975.
Animals of the same family as a Southern ningaui
We found other animals of the Dasyuridae family:
- Short-furred dasyure with a weight of 161 grams
- Sminthopsis laniger with a weight of 26 grams
- Eastern quoll bringing 1.12 kilos (2.47 lbs) to the scale
- Sandstone false antechinus with a weight of 23 grams
- Brush-tailed phascogale with a weight of 193 grams
- Tasmanian devil bringing 8.2 kilos (18.08 lbs) to the scale
- Crest-tailed mulgara with a weight of 100 grams
- New Guinean planigale with a weight of 14 grams
- Cinnamon antechinus with a weight of 71 grams
- Red-cheeked dunnart with a weight of 35 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Southern ningaui
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Ningaui yvonnae:
- Davy’s naked-backed bat bringing 9 grams to the scale
- Lesser large-footed bat bringing 8 grams to the scale
- Orinoco sword-nosed bat bringing 9 grams to the scale
- Western harvest mouse bringing 10 grams to the scale
- Leach’s single leaf bat bringing 8 grams to the scale
- Northern birch mouse bringing 8 grams to the scale
- Black-gilded pipistrelle bringing 10 grams to the scale
- Jouvenet’s shrew bringing 9 grams to the scale
- Pygmy gerbil bringing 8 grams to the scale
- Yellow-throated big-eared bat bringing 10 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Southern ningaui
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (7) as a Southern ningaui: