Have you ever wondered how many people are crammed into Greenbelt in Maryland? Here is the answer:
Greenbelt, Maryland has a population density of 3740.29 inhabitants per square kilometer (9706.2 / sq mi)
That means the whole population of 23,489 people are living within an area of 6.28 sq km (2.42 sq mi).
As a reference: New York City has a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi), thanks to it’s population of 8,398,748 inhabitants within an area of 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi).
Greenbelt is a city in Prince George’s County, Maryland, United States, and a suburb of Washington. Greenbelt is notable for being the first and the largest of the three experimental and controversial New Deal Greenbelt Towns, planned and built by the Federal government. The cooperative community was conceived in 1935 by Undersecretary of Agriculture Rexford Guy Tugwell, whose perceived collectivist ideology attracted opposition to the Greenbelt Towns project throughout its short duration. The project came into legal existence in the spring of 1935. On April 8, 1935, Congress passed the Emergency Relief Appropriation Act of 1935. Under the authority granted to him by this legislation, President Franklin D. Roosevelt issued an executive order, on May 1, 1935, establishing the United States Resettlement Administration (RA/RRA).Originally referred to as Maryland Special Project No. 1, the project was officially given the name Greenbelt when the Division of Suburban Resettlement of the Resettlement Administration began construction on January 13, 1936, approximately eight miles north of Washington. The complete Greenbelt plans were reviewed at the White House by President Roosevelt and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt on April 30, 1936. The first tenants, after being selected through a stringent and restrictive application process, moved into the town, which consisted of structures built in the Art Deco, Streamline Moderne, and Bauhaus architectural styles, on September 30, 1937.Greenbelt is credited as a historic milestone in urban development, which includes its role as having served as the initial model for the privately constructed suburban Washington, D.C. planned cities of Reston, Virginia and Columbia, Maryland.Known locally as Old Greenbelt, the original, federally-built core of the city was recognized as the Greenbelt Historic District by the Maryland Historical Trust, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a National Historic Landmark District.Greenbelt’s population, which includes residents of private sector dwellings that were constructed over several decades subsequent to the federal government’s ownership of the city, was recorded as 23,068 in the 2010 U.S. Census.
Cities with a similar population density as Greenbelt
Other cities that have a similar population density as Greenbelt, Maryland are:
- Santa Ana, California with a population density of 4,574 people per sq km (11,848 / sq mi).
- Rocky River, Ohio with a population density of 3,603 people per sq km (9,315 / sq mi).
- Long Beach, California with a population density of 3,467 people per sq km (8,979 / sq mi).
- Plainfield, New Jersey with a population density of 3,222 people per sq km (8,343 / sq mi).
- Oregon City, Oregon with a population density of 3,429 people per sq km (8,874 / sq mi).
- San Fernando, California with a population density of 3,846 people per sq km (9,977 / sq mi).
- El Monte, California with a population density of 4,541 people per sq km (11,759 / sq mi).
- Lakewood, California with a population density of 3,264 people per sq km (8,453 / sq mi).
- Gladstone, Oregon with a population density of 4,633 people per sq km (11,970 / sq mi).
- Long Beach, New York with a population density of 3,299 people per sq km (8,554 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as Greenbelt
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Greenbelt, Maryland:
- West Chicago, Illinois with a population of 27,086 people
- Pearl, Mississippi with a population of 25,092 people
- Neenah, Wisconsin with a population of 25,501 people
- Solon, Ohio with a population of 23,348 people
- Nogales, Arizona with a population of 20,837 people
- New Castle, Pennsylvania with a population of 24,060 people
- Acworth, Georgia with a population of 20,425 people
- Glen Cove, New York with a population of 26,964 people
- Collinsville, Illinois with a population of 25,579 people
- Blue Island, Illinois with a population of 23,706 people
Cities with a similar size as Greenbelt
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Greenbelt, Maryland, here you go:
- Garfield, New Jersey with 5.67 square kilometers (5.67 sq mi), population: 10,213
- Washington, Pennsylvania with 7.63 square kilometers (7.63 sq mi), population: 13,663
- Mandeville, Louisiana with 7.05 square kilometers (7.05 sq mi), population: 10,489
- Sunnyside, Washington with 7.53 square kilometers (7.53 sq mi), population: 15,858
- Lighthouse Point, Florida with 6.19 square kilometers (6.19 sq mi), population: 10,344
- Berkley, Michigan with 6.77 square kilometers (6.77 sq mi), population: 14,970
- Wilsonville, Oregon with 7.42 square kilometers (7.42 sq mi), population: 19,509
- Sweetwater, Florida with 6.22 square kilometers (6.22 sq mi), population: 14,226
- Clawson, Michigan with 5.70 square kilometers (5.70 sq mi), population: 11,825
- South Miami, Florida with 5.98 square kilometers (5.98 sq mi), population: 11,147