Have you ever wondered how many people are crammed into Lewiston in Idaho? Here is the answer:
Lewiston, Idaho has a population density of 892.36 inhabitants per square kilometer (2311.34 / sq mi)
That means the whole population of 41,789 people are living within an area of 46.83 sq km (18.08 sq mi).
As a reference: New York City has a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi), thanks to it’s population of 8,398,748 inhabitants within an area of 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi).
Lewiston is a city and the county seat of Nez Perce County, Idaho, United States, in the state’s north central region. It is the second-largest city in the northern Idaho region, behind Coeur d’Alene, and ninth-largest in the state. Lewiston is the principal city of the Lewiston, ID-WA Metropolitan Statistical Area, which includes all of Nez Perce County and Asotin County, Washington. As of the 2010 census, the population of Lewiston was 31,894, up from 30,904 in 2000.Lewiston is located at the confluence of the Snake River and Clearwater River, thirty miles (50 km) upstream and southeast of the Lower Granite Dam. Because of dams (and their locks) on the Snake and Columbia River, Lewiston is reachable by some ocean-going vessels. The Port of Lewiston (Idaho’s only seaport) has the distinction of being the farthest inland port east of the West Coast. The Lewiston-Nez Perce County Airport serves the city by air.Lewiston was founded in 1862 in the wake of a gold rush which began the previous year near Pierce, northeast of Lewiston. In 1863, Lewiston became the first capital of the newly created Idaho Territory. Its stint as seat of the new territory’s government was short-lived, as a resolution to have the capital moved south to Boise was passed by the Idaho Territorial Legislature on December 7, 1864.Lewiston’s main industries are agriculture, paper, and timber products, and light manufacturing. Ammunition manufacturing maintains a very important and growing presence in Lewiston, being the headquarters of ammunition makers CCI and Speer Bullet. The city is the primary regional transportation, retail, health care, and entertainment center of the surrounding area and serves as a recreation destination for the Hells Canyon National Recreation Area.Lewiston is home to Lewis–Clark State College, a public undergraduate college. Community activities in Lewiston include the Dogwood Festival, Hot August Nights, and the Lewiston Roundup.
Cities with a similar population density as Lewiston
Other cities that have a similar population density as Lewiston, Idaho are:
- Waconia, Minnesota with a population density of 918 people per sq km (2,377 / sq mi).
- Parkland, Florida with a population density of 756 people per sq km (1,958 / sq mi).
- Fremont, Nebraska with a population density of 1,057 people per sq km (2,738 / sq mi).
- Columbus, Nebraska with a population density of 820 people per sq km (2,124 / sq mi).
- Vermillion, South Dakota with a population density of 991 people per sq km (2,566 / sq mi).
- Claremont, California with a population density of 1,000 people per sq km (2,589 / sq mi).
- Stamford, Connecticut with a population density of 952 people per sq km (2,465 / sq mi).
- Oakley, California with a population density of 846 people per sq km (2,191 / sq mi).
- Farmers Branch, Texas with a population density of 924 people per sq km (2,395 / sq mi).
- Ionia, Michigan with a population density of 745 people per sq km (1,929 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as Lewiston
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Lewiston, Idaho:
- Florence, Alabama with a population of 39,319 people
- Jeffersonville, Indiana with a population of 44,953 people
- Lehi, Utah with a population of 47,407 people
- York, Pennsylvania with a population of 43,718 people
- Spartanburg, South Carolina with a population of 37,013 people
- Hickory, North Carolina with a population of 40,010 people
- Belleville, Illinois with a population of 44,478 people
- Tucker, Georgia with a population of 35,322 people
- Sarasota, Florida with a population of 51,917 people
- Portage, Indiana with a population of 36,828 people
Cities with a similar size as Lewiston
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Lewiston, Idaho, here you go:
- Republic, Missouri with 39.97 square kilometers (39.97 sq mi), population: 14,751
- Kettering, Ohio with 48.55 square kilometers (48.55 sq mi), population: 56,163
- Alamogordo, New Mexico with 55.55 square kilometers (55.55 sq mi), population: 30,403
- Herriman, Utah with 55.87 square kilometers (55.87 sq mi), population: 28,556
- Garden Grove, California with 46.55 square kilometers (46.55 sq mi), population: 170,883
- Seabrook, Texas with 55.09 square kilometers (55.09 sq mi), population: 11,952
- Ottumwa, Iowa with 42.82 square kilometers (42.82 sq mi), population: 25,023
- Jurupa Valley, California with 43.68 square kilometers (43.68 sq mi), population: 98,842
- Paradise, California with 47.48 square kilometers (47.48 sq mi), population: 26,218
- Pittsburg, California with 49.59 square kilometers (49.59 sq mi), population: 63,264
Cities with the same name “Lewiston”
Same name but different game – do we have sister cities from other states:
- Lewiston, Maine with a population of 36,592 residents