If you ever wondered how many inhabitants Key West in Florida has, here is the answer:
Key West, Florida has a population of 22,682 residents.
With an area of 18.76 sq km (7.24 sq mi), that comes down to a population density of 1209.06 inhabitants per square kilometer (3132.87 / sq mi).
As a reference: New York City has a population of 8,398,748 inhabitants and a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi).
Key West (Spanish: Cayo Hueso) is an island in the Straits of Florida, within the U.S. state of Florida. Together with all or parts of the separate islands of Dredgers Key, Fleming Key, Sunset Key, and the northern part of Stock Island, it constitutes the City of Key West.The Island of Key West is about 4 miles (6 kilometers) long and 1 mile (2 km) wide, with a total land area of 4.2 square miles (11 km2). It lies at the southernmost end of U.S. Route 1, the longest north–south road in the United States. Key West is about 95 miles (153 km) north of Cuba at their closest points. It is also 130 miles (210 km) southwest of Miami by air, about 165 miles (266 km) by road, and 106 miles (171 km) north-northeast of Havana.The City of Key West is the county seat of Monroe County, which includes all of the Florida Keys and part of the Everglades. The total land area of the city is 5.6 square miles (14.5 km2). The official city motto is “One Human Family”.Key West is the southernmost city in the contiguous United States and the westernmost island connected by highway in the Florida Keys. Duval Street, its main street, is 1.1 miles (1.8 km) in length in its 14-block-long crossing from the Gulf of Mexico to the Straits of Florida and the Atlantic Ocean. Key West is the southern terminus of U.S. Route 1, State Road A1A, the East Coast Greenway and, before 1935, the Florida East Coast Railway. Key West is a port of call for many passenger cruise ships. The Key West International Airport provides airline service. Naval Air Station Key West is an important year-round training site for naval aviation due to the tropical weather, which is also the reason Key West was chosen as the site of President Harry S. Truman’s Winter White House. The central business district is located along Duval Street and includes much of the northwestern corner of the island.
Cities with a similar population size as Key West
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Key West, Florida:
- Kankakee, Illinois with a population of 27,491 people
- Greer, South Carolina with a population of 27,167 people
- Columbus, Nebraska with a population of 22,111 people
- Maryland Heights, Missouri with a population of 27,472 people
- Kalispell, Montana with a population of 19,927 people
- Burlington, Iowa with a population of 25,663 people
- McFarland, California with a population of 19,044 people
- Watertown, South Dakota with a population of 21,482 people
- Tompkinsville, Kentucky with a population of 24,020 people
- Austin, Minnesota with a population of 24,718 people
Cities with a similar size as Key West
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Key West, Florida, here you go:
- Kelso, Washington with 21.67 square kilometers, population: 11,925
- Mountain Home, Idaho with 16.47 square kilometers, population: 14,206
- Atchison, Kansas with 21.59 square kilometers, population: 11,021
- Lake Station, Indiana with 21.83 square kilometers, population: 12,572
- Saginaw, Michigan with 18.10 square kilometers, population: 51,508
- Coalinga, California with 17.35 square kilometers, population: 13,380
- Trenton, New Jersey with 21.25 square kilometers, population: 84,913
- Louisville, Colorado with 20.95 square kilometers, population: 18,376
- Santa Fe Springs, California with 23.08 square kilometers, population: 16,223
- Woodhaven, Michigan with 16.69 square kilometers, population: 12,875
Cities with a similar population density as Key West
Other cities that have a similar population density as Key West, Florida are:
- Elgin, Illinois with a population density of 1,101 people per sq km (2,852 / sq mi).
- Tacoma, Washington with a population density of 1,227 people per sq km (3,178 / sq mi).
- Delano, California with a population density of 1,448 people per sq km (3,748 / sq mi).
- Brunswick, Ohio with a population density of 1,021 people per sq km (2,643 / sq mi).
- Glens Falls, New York with a population density of 1,423 people per sq km (3,684 / sq mi).
- Kent, Washington with a population density of 1,037 people per sq km (2,686 / sq mi).
- Colton, California with a population density of 1,255 people per sq km (3,252 / sq mi).
- Gloversville, New York with a population density of 1,197 people per sq km (3,102 / sq mi).
- Simi Valley, California with a population density of 1,136 people per sq km (2,941 / sq mi).
- Chicago Heights, Illinois with a population density of 1,145 people per sq km (2,965 / sq mi).
Cities from the same state: Florida
Let’s see what other cities Florida has to offer:
- Lake City, Florida with 12,046 inhabitants
- Fort Pierce, Florida with 41,590 inhabitants
- Rockledge, Florida with 24,926 inhabitants
- Sebring, Florida with 10,648 inhabitants
- Boca Raton, Florida with 84,392 inhabitants
- Daytona Beach, Florida with 61,005 inhabitants
- Safety Harbor, Florida with 16,884 inhabitants
- Bradenton, Florida with 50,672 inhabitants
- Tallahassee, Florida with 181,376 inhabitants
- Sunny Isles Beach, Florida with 15,399 inhabitants