If you ever wondered how many inhabitants San Jose in California has, here is the answer:
San Jose, California has a population of 1,025,350 residents.
With an area of 467.55 sq km (180.52 sq mi), that comes down to a population density of 2193.03 inhabitants per square kilometer (5679.98 / sq mi).
As a reference: New York City has a population of 8,398,748 inhabitants and a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi).
San Jose (; Spanish: [saŋ xoˈse]; Spanish for ‘”Saint Joseph”‘), officially the City of San José, is the cultural, financial, and political center of Silicon Valley and the largest city in Northern California, by both population and area. With an estimated 2019 population of 1,021,795, it is the third-most populous city in California (after Los Angeles and San Diego) and the tenth-most populous in United States. Located in the center of the Santa Clara Valley, on the southern shore of San Francisco Bay, San Jose covers an area of 179.97 square miles (466.1 km2). San Jose is the county seat of Santa Clara County, the most affluent county in California and one of the most affluent counties in the United States. San Jose is the main component of the San Jose–Sunnyvale–Santa Clara Metropolitan Statistical Area, with an estimated population of around 2 million residents in 2018. It is also the most populous city in both the San Francisco Bay Area and the San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland Combined Statistical Area, which contain 7.7 million and 8.7 million people respectively.San Jose is a global city, notable as a center of innovation, for its affluence, Mediterranean climate, and extremely high cost of living. San Jose’s location within the booming high tech industry, as a cultural, political, and economic center has earned the city the nickname “Capital of Silicon Valley”. San Jose is one of the wealthiest major cities in the United States and the world, and has the third highest GDP per capita in the world (after Zürich, Switzerland and Oslo, Norway), according to the Brookings Institution. The San Jose Metropolitan Area has the most millionaires and the most billionaires in the United States per capita. With a median home price of $1,085,000, San Jose has the most expensive housing market in the country and the fifth most expensive housing market in the world, according to the 2017 Demographia International Housing Affordability Survey. Major global tech companies including Cisco Systems, eBay, Adobe Inc., PayPal, Broadcom, Samsung, Acer, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, and Zoom maintain their headquarters in San Jose, in the center of Silicon Valley.Before the arrival of the Spanish, the area around San Jose was inhabited by the Tamien nation of the Ohlone peoples of California. San Jose was founded on November 29, 1777, as the Pueblo de San José de Guadalupe, the first city founded in the Californias. It then became a part of Mexico in 1821 after the Mexican War of Independence. Following the American Conquest of California during the Mexican–American War, the territory was ceded to the United States in 1848. After California achieved statehood two years later, San Jose became the state’s first capital. Following World War II, San Jose experienced an economic boom, with a rapid population growth and aggressive annexation of nearby cities and communities carried out in the 1950s and 1960s. The rapid growth of the high-technology and electronics industries further accelerated the transition from an agricultural center to an urbanized metropolitan area. Results of the 1990 U.S. Census indicated that San Jose had officially surpassed San Francisco as the most populous city in Northern California. By the 1990s, San Jose and the rest of Silicon Valley had become the global center for the high tech and internet industries, making it California’s fastest-growing economy.
Cities with a similar population size as San Jose
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like San Jose, California:
- San Francisco, California with a population of 881,549 people
- Austin, Texas with a population of 912,791 people
- Jacksonville, Florida with a population of 880,619 people
- Indianapolis, Indiana with a population of 863,002 people
- Duval County, Florida with a population of 885,855 people
- Dallas, Texas with a population of 1,197,816 people
- Honolulu County, Hawaii with a population of 983,429 people
Cities with a similar size as San Jose
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as San Jose, California, here you go:
- Albuquerque, New Mexico with 492.01 square kilometers, population: 559,277
- Tulsa, Oklahoma with 520.79 square kilometers, population: 403,505
- Goodyear, Arizona with 495.29 square kilometers, population: 65,275
- Montgomery, Alabama with 418.40 square kilometers, population: 205,764
- Hibbing, Minnesota with 482.85 square kilometers, population: 16,361
- Mobile, Alabama with 466.37 square kilometers, population: 195,111
- Sierra Vista, Arizona with 394.96 square kilometers, population: 43,888
- Galveston, Texas with 542.20 square kilometers, population: 57,466
- Wichita, Kansas with 426.66 square kilometers, population: 382,368
- Boulder City, Nevada with 539.49 square kilometers, population: 16,206
Cities with a similar population density as San Jose
Other cities that have a similar population density as San Jose, California are:
- Melrose, Massachusetts with a population density of 2,185 people per sq km (5,657 / sq mi).
- Gaithersburg, Maryland with a population density of 2,227 people per sq km (5,768 / sq mi).
- Burbank, California with a population density of 2,294 people per sq km (5,943 / sq mi).
- Sunrise, Florida with a population density of 1,876 people per sq km (4,857 / sq mi).
- Suisun City, California with a population density of 2,607 people per sq km (6,757 / sq mi).
- New Haven, Connecticut with a population density of 2,505 people per sq km (6,488 / sq mi).
- Imperial Beach, California with a population density of 2,266 people per sq km (5,876 / sq mi).
- Royal Oak, Michigan with a population density of 1,875 people per sq km (4,859 / sq mi).
- Newman, California with a population density of 1,914 people per sq km (4,963 / sq mi).
- Millbrae, California with a population density of 2,551 people per sq km (6,605 / sq mi).
Cities from the same state: California
Let’s see what other cities California has to offer:
- San Fernando, California with 23,645 inhabitants
- Marina, California with 20,370 inhabitants
- Mill Valley, California with 13,903 inhabitants
- Chowchilla, California with 18,720 inhabitants
- Apple Valley, California with 69,135 inhabitants
- Morro Bay, California with 10,234 inhabitants
- Santa Clarita, California with 176,320 inhabitants
- Rosemead, California with 53,764 inhabitants
- San Gabriel, California with 39,718 inhabitants
- Coachella, California with 40,704 inhabitants