How many baby African bush elephants are in a litter?
A African bush elephant (Loxodonta africana) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 660 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 105 kg (231.49 lbs) and measure 1.2 meter (4′ 0″). They are a member of the Elephantidae family (genus: Loxodonta). An adult African bush elephant grows up to a size of 22.4 cm (0′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The African bush elephant (Loxodonta africana), also known as the African savanna elephant, is the largest living terrestrial animal with bulls reaching a shoulder height of up to 3.96 m (13.0 ft). Both sexes have tusks, which erupt when they are 1–3 years old and grow throughout life.It is distributed across 37 African countries and inhabits forests, grasslands and woodlands, wetlands and agricultural land. It is a social mammal, traveling in herds composed of cows and their offspring. Adult bulls usually live alone or in small bachelor groups. It is a herbivore, feeding on grasses, creepers, herbs, leaves and bark.The description of the species was published in 1797. Since 2004, it has been listed as Vulnerable on the IUCN Red List. It is threatened foremost by habitat destruction, and in parts of its range also by poaching for meat and ivory.
Other animals of the family Elephantidae
African bush elephant is a member of the Elephantidae, as are these animals:
- African forest elephant weighting around 4750 kilograms (10471.95 lbs)
- Asian elephant with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with African bush elephant
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Olive colobus
- Humboldt’s white-fronted capuchin
- Brazilian big-eyed bat
- Silver dik-dik
- Northern elephant seal
- Maned sloth
- Van Gelder’s bat
- King colobus
Animals that get as old as a African bush elephant
Other animals that usually reach the age of 80 years:
- Berardius with 71 years
- Bryde’s whale with 72 years
- Asian elephant with 80 years
- Sei whale with 74 years
- Sperm whale with 77 years
- Humpback whale with 95 years
- Gray whale with 77 years
- Dugong with 70 years
Animals with the same weight as a African bush elephant
What other animals weight around 3882.27 kg (8558.93 lbs)?
- Steller’s sea cow usually reaching 4000 kgs (8818.48 lbs)
- Sowerby’s beaked whale usually reaching 3400 kgs (7495.71 lbs)
- Hubbs’ beaked whale usually reaching 3400 kgs (7495.71 lbs)
- Asian elephant usually reaching 3294.9 kgs (7264 lbs)
- Northern bottlenose whale usually reaching 3391.68 kgs (7477.37 lbs)