How many baby African groove-toothed rats are in a litter?
A African groove-toothed rat (Mylomys dybowskii) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 8 grams (0.02 lbs) and measure 5 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Mylomys). An adult African groove-toothed rat grows up to a size of 36.6 cm (1′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The African groove-toothed rat or mill rat (Mylomys dybowskii) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae found in Angola, Cameroon, the Central African Republic, the Republic of the Congo, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forest and subtropical or tropical seasonally wet or flooded lowland grassland. It is threatened by habitat loss.
Other animals of the family Muridae
African groove-toothed rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Earless water rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Savanna gerbil with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Balkan snow vole with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Vinogradov’s jird with 7 babies per pregnancy
- Osgood’s leaf-eared mouse weighting only 45 grams
- Chelemys macronyx with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Korean field mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Peromyscus maniculatus with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Bushveld gerbil with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Chestnut tree mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with African groove-toothed rat
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Mexican prairie dog
- Pousargues’s mongoose
- Dice’s cottontail
- Shrew gymnure
- Mountain cottontail
- Mexican spiny pocket mouse
- Atherton antechinus
- Merriam’s pocket mouse
- Chelemys macronyx
- Short-tailed bandicoot rat
Animals with the same weight as a African groove-toothed rat
What other animals weight around 111 grams (0.24 lbs)?
- Mountain viscacha rat weighting 124 grams
- Amazonian marsh rat weighting 120 grams
- Greater tree mouse weighting 105 grams
- Santander dwarf squirrel weighting 99 grams
- Ruwenzori otter shrew weighting 112 grams
- Angoni vlei rat weighting 100 grams
- White-tailed antelope squirrel weighting 104 grams
- Large-scaled mosaic-tailed rat weighting 117 grams
- Wetzel’s climbing mouse weighting 89 grams
- Bushy-tailed opossum weighting 114 grams