How many baby Chelemys macronyxs are in a litter?
A Chelemys macronyx (Chelemys macronyx) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 14 grams (0.03 lbs) and measure 7.6 cm (0′ 3″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Chelemys). An adult Chelemys macronyx grows up to a size of 22.5 cm (0′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Chelemys macronyx, also known as the Andean long-clawed mouse or Andean long-clawed akodont, is a species of rodent in the genus Chelemys of family Cricetidae. It is native to Argentina and Chile, where it is found in Patagonian Nothofagus forest and adjacent grasslands.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Chelemys macronyx is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Andean mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Rock vole with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Olive grass mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Ash-grey mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Slender harvest mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Lowland mosaic-tailed rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Least gerbil weighting only 26 grams
- Savi’s pine vole weighting only 20 grams
- Cape York rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Japen rat weighting only 380 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Chelemys macronyx
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Lodgepole chipmunk
- Hairy-tailed bolo mouse
- Western pygmy possum
- Tropical pocket gopher
- Red-cheeked dunnart
- Typical striped grass mouse
- Short-tailed shrew tenrec
- Utah prairie dog
- Creek groove-toothed swamp rat
Animals with the same weight as a Chelemys macronyx
What other animals weight around 72 grams (0.16 lbs)?
- Oecomys phaeotis weighting 73 grams
- Diminutive woodrat weighting 80 grams
- Prince Demidoff’s bushbaby weighting 66 grams
- Glacier rat weighting 64 grams
- Townsend’s mole weighting 70 grams
- Southern big-eared mouse weighting 70 grams
- Mindomys weighting 60 grams
- Coxing’s white-bellied rat weighting 80 grams
- Zempoaltepec weighting 58 grams
- Handleyomys intectus weighting 60 grams