How many baby Agile kangaroo rats are in a litter?
A Agile kangaroo rat (Dipodomys agilis) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 4 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 59 grams (0.13 lbs) and measure 27.5 cm (0′ 11″). They are a member of the Heteromyidae family (genus: Dipodomys). An adult Agile kangaroo rat grows up to a size of 7.9 cm (0′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The agile kangaroo rat (Dipodomys agilis) is a species of rodent in the family Heteromyidae. It is found in Baja California, Mexico and southern California in the United States.Relatively little information has been published on the natural history, life history, ecology, or behavior of the agile kangaroo rat. The species appears to be part of the Californian kangaroo rat radiation, which is derived from a common ancestor with Ord’s kangaroo rat. Best compared 19 morphological measurements from specimens from 34 populations across the species range, and concluded that the species is monotypic. An observational study found distinct habitat differences between the agile and Stephens’s kangaroo rats, with the agile preferring more shrubs and lighter soils.
Other animals of the family Heteromyidae
Agile kangaroo rat is a member of the Heteromyidae, as are these animals:
- Sinaloan pocket mouse weighting only 17 grams
- Narrow-skulled pocket mouse raching a size of 8.8 cm (0′ 4″)
- Arizona pocket mouse weighting only 11 grams
- California kangaroo rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Narrow-faced kangaroo rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Chisel-toothed kangaroo rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Phillips’s kangaroo rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Silky pocket mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- San Joaquin pocket mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Painted spiny pocket mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Agile kangaroo rat
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Banana climbing mouse
- African black shrew
- Dobson’s shrew tenrec
- Common gundi
- Indian palm squirrel
- European hare
- Crested servaline genet
- Butiaba naked-tailed shrew
- Sand-colored soft-furred rat
Animals with the same weight as a Agile kangaroo rat
What other animals weight around 60 grams (0.13 lbs)?
- Himalayan mole weighting 60 grams
- Long-nosed dasyure weighting 54 grams
- Sumichrast’s vesper rat weighting 59 grams
- Togo mouse weighting 55 grams
- Golden-brown mouse lemur weighting 58 grams
- Southern big-eared mouse weighting 70 grams
- Cape York melomys weighting 70 grams
- Mexican mouse opossum weighting 49 grams
- Gray-footed chipmunk weighting 70 grams
- Robinson’s mouse opossum weighting 61 grams