How many baby American hog-nosed skunks are in a litter?
A American hog-nosed skunk (Conepatus mesoleucus) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 6 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 51 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 2.9 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Mustelidae family (genus: Conepatus). An adult American hog-nosed skunk grows up to a size of 42.2 cm (1′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The American hog-nosed skunk (Conepatus leuconotus) is a species of hog-nosed skunk from Central and North America, and is one of the largest skunks in the world, growing to lengths of up to 2.7 feet (82 cm). Recent work has concluded the western hog-nosed skunk (formerly Conepatus mesoleucus) is the same species, and Conepatus leuconotus is the correct name of the merged populations.In Texas, it is commonly known as the rooter skunk for its habit of rooting and overturning rocks and debris in search of food.
Other animals of the family Mustelidae
American hog-nosed skunk is a member of the Mustelidae, as are these animals:
- Southern river otter weighting around 7.5 kilograms (16.53 lbs)
- Yellow-throated marten with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Honey badger with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Malayan weasel with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Giant otter with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Hog badger with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Striped skunk with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Long-tailed weasel with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Palawan stink badger weighting around 2.5 kilograms (5.51 lbs)
- Hooded skunk with 4 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with American hog-nosed skunk
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Mount Kahuzi climbing mouse
- Japanese mountain mole
- Stein’s rat
- Savanna gerbil
- Broad-striped dasyure
- Yarkand hare
- Temminck’s mouse
- Blanford’s jerboa
- Major’s pine vole
Animals with the same weight as a American hog-nosed skunk
What other animals weight around 2.58 kg (5.69 lbs)?
- Eastern hare-wallaby usually reaching 3 kgs (6.61 lbs)
- Long-nosed mongoose usually reaching 3 kgs (6.61 lbs)
- Macleay’s dorcopsis usually reaching 2.78 kgs (6.13 lbs)
- Orinoco agouti usually reaching 2.65 kgs (5.84 lbs)
- White-footed saki usually reaching 2.8 kgs (6.17 lbs)
- Swamp rabbit usually reaching 2.14 kgs (4.72 lbs)
- Japanese hare usually reaching 2.53 kgs (5.58 lbs)
- Granada hare usually reaching 2.33 kgs (5.14 lbs)
- Jameson’s red rock hare usually reaching 2.38 kgs (5.25 lbs)
- Red-rumped agouti usually reaching 3.02 kgs (6.66 lbs)