How many baby Azara’s night monkeys are in a litter?
A Azara’s night monkey (Aotus azarae) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 56 grams (0.12 lbs) and measure 1.7 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Aotidae family (genus: Aotus). An adult Azara’s night monkey grows up to a size of 51.6 cm (1′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Azara’s night monkey (Aotus azarae), also known as the southern night monkey, is a night monkey species from South America. It is found in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Peru and Paraguay. The species is monogamous, with the males providing a large amount of parental care. It is named after Spanish naturalist Félix de Azara. Although primarily nocturnal, some populations of Azara’s night monkey are unique among night monkeys in being active both day and night. The species is listed as Least Concern on the IUCN Red List.
Other animals of the family Aotidae
Azara’s night monkey is a member of the Aotidae, as are these animals:
- Nancy Ma’s night monkey with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Black-headed night monkey weighting around 1.06 kilograms (2.34 lbs)
Animals that share a litter size with Azara’s night monkey
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Wolf’s mona monkey
- Southern long-nosed bat
- Sowerby’s beaked whale
- Long-tailed fruit bat
- Black-striped wallaby
- Great flying fox
- Long-fingered triok
- New Zealand lesser short-tailed bat
- Moustached tamarin
- Harp seal
Animals with the same weight as a Azara’s night monkey
What other animals weight around 929 grams (2.05 lbs)?
- Spotted giant flying squirrel usually reaching 1.04 kgs (2.29 lbs)
- Chestnut-bellied titi weighting 992 grams
- Andean squirrel weighting 803 grams
- White-eared opossum usually reaching 1.03 kgs (2.27 lbs)
- Mountain cottontail weighting 803 grams
- Long-nosed echymipera usually reaching 1.05 kgs (2.31 lbs)
- Western white-eared giant rat weighting 932 grams
- Herbert River ringtail possum usually reaching 1.1 kgs (2.43 lbs)
- Black-bearded flying fox weighting 872 grams
- Rio Beni titi weighting 992 grams