How many baby Bactrian camels are in a litter?
A Bactrian camel (Camelus bactrianus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 398 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 34.37 kg (75.78 lbs) and measure 1 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Camelidae family (genus: Camelus). An adult Bactrian camel grows up to a size of 23.4 cm (0′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Bactrian camel (Camelus bactrianus) is a large, even-toed ungulate native to the steppes of Central Asia. It has two humps on its back, in contrast to the single-humped dromedary camel. Its population of two million exists mainly in the domesticated form. Their name comes from the ancient historical region of Bactria.Domesticated Bactrian camels have served as pack animals in inner Asia since ancient times. With its tolerance for cold, drought, and high altitudes, it enabled the travel of caravans on the Silk Road. Bactrian camels, whether domesticated or feral, are a separate species from the wild Bactrian camel, which is the only truly wild (as opposed to feral) species of camel in the world.
Other animals of the family Camelidae
Bactrian camel is a member of the Camelidae, as are these animals:
- Dromedary with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Alpaca with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Vicuña with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Llama with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Guanaco with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Bactrian camel
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Southern three-banded armadillo
- Fire-footed rope squirrel
- Prince Demidoff’s bushbaby
- Red-eared guenon
- Eastern woolly lemur
- Unstriped ground squirrel
- Tana River red colobus
- Eastern forest bat
- Angolan talapoin
Animals that get as old as a Bactrian camel
Other animals that usually reach the age of 40 years:
- Sumatran rhinoceros with 35 years
- Japanese macaque with 33 years
- Siamang with 38 years
- Crab-eating macaque with 38 years
- Anoa with 36 years
- Drill (animal) with 33.33 years
- Harp seal with 42 years
- Beluga whale with 40 years
- Pygmy hippopotamus with 43.75 years
- Campbell’s mona monkey with 33 years
Animals with the same weight as a Bactrian camel
What other animals weight around 550.76 kg (1214.21 lbs)?
- Moose usually reaching 541.46 kgs (1193.71 lbs)
- Giant eland usually reaching 644.51 kgs (1420.9 lbs)
- Cattle usually reaching 615.82 kgs (1357.65 lbs)
- Common eland usually reaching 561.8 kgs (1238.56 lbs)
- African buffalo usually reaching 592.83 kgs (1306.96 lbs)
- Domestic yak usually reaching 500 kgs (1102.31 lbs)
- West Indian manatee usually reaching 467.16 kgs (1029.91 lbs)
- African manatee usually reaching 454 kgs (1000.9 lbs)
- American bison usually reaching 622.29 kgs (1371.91 lbs)
- Moose usually reaching 471.45 kgs (1039.37 lbs)