How many baby Crescent nail-tail wallabys are in a litter?
A Crescent nail-tail wallaby (Onychogalea lunata) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 22 grams (0.05 lbs) and measure 13.5 cm (0′ 6″). They are a member of the Macropodidae family (genus: Onychogalea). An adult Crescent nail-tail wallaby grows up to a size of 52.5 cm (1′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Crescent nail-tail wallaby and worong refer to Onychogalea lunata, a small species of marsupial that grazed on grasses in the scrub and woodlands of southwestern and central Australia. They were common in Western Australia before it disappeared in the early twentieth century and persisted in the central deserts until at least the 1950s. The pelage was soft and silky and an ashen grey colouring overall, highlighted in part with rufous tones. There were light and dark patches of fur across the body, the moon-like crescents inspiring their names, and had attractive stripes on the face. Like the two remaining species of the genus, the northern Onychogalea unguifera and rare O. fraenata (bridled nailtail), it had a horny spur at the tip of its tail. The species was compared to a hare or rabbit, in its habits, appearance and taste, and weighed around 3.5 kilograms.The species was extremely timid and would flee to a hollow log if disturbed at their day time resting places, a small patch of sand cleared near a large shrub or tree. They ran with their short forelimbs awkwardly held toward the chest.
Other animals of the family Macropodidae
Crescent nail-tail wallaby is a member of the Macropodidae, as are these animals:
- Common wallaroo with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Monjon with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Gray dorcopsis with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Black-striped wallaby with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Red-necked wallaby with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Red-legged pademelon with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Antilopine kangaroo with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Red kangaroo with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Proserpine rock-wallaby with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Western grey kangaroo with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Crescent nail-tail wallaby
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Southern needle-clawed bushbaby
- Masoala fork-marked lemur
- Western broad-nosed bat
- Baikal seal
- Northern bottlenose whale
- Lichtenstein’s hartebeest
- Phayre’s leaf monkey
- Dark-winged lesser house bat
- White-bellied duiker
- Red-shanked douc
Animals with the same weight as a Crescent nail-tail wallaby
What other animals weight around 3.5 kg (7.72 lbs)?
- Asian palm civet usually reaching 3.2 kgs (7.05 lbs)
- Owston’s palm civet usually reaching 3.27 kgs (7.21 lbs)
- Pallas’s cat usually reaching 3.05 kgs (6.72 lbs)
- Philippine porcupine usually reaching 3.55 kgs (7.83 lbs)
- White-throated guenon usually reaching 3.44 kgs (7.58 lbs)
- Alpine marmot usually reaching 4.06 kgs (8.95 lbs)
- Western tree hyrax usually reaching 3.18 kgs (7.01 lbs)
- Spotted-necked otter usually reaching 4.19 kgs (9.24 lbs)
- Quokka usually reaching 3.03 kgs (6.68 lbs)
- Black dwarf porcupine usually reaching 3 kgs (6.61 lbs)