How many baby Phayre’s leaf monkeys are in a litter?
A Phayre’s leaf monkey (Trachypithecus phayrei) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 180 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 349 grams (0.77 lbs) and measure 36.8 cm (1′ 3″). They are a member of the Cercopithecidae family (genus: Trachypithecus). An adult Phayre’s leaf monkey grows up to a size of 54.9 cm (1′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Phayre’s leaf monkey (Trachypithecus phayrei), also known as Phayre’s langur, is a species of lutung native to Southeast Asia including India, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and China. It is listed as Endangered on the IUCN Red List and is threatened by hunting and loss of habitat.The species epithet commemorates Arthur Purves Phayre.It is mostly arboreal and feeds on leaves of many tree species. In Tripura, India, it mainly feeds on leaves of Albizia procera, Albizzia lebbek and A. stipulata, Melocanna bambusoides, Macaranga denticulata, Callicarpa arborea, Dillenia pentagyna, Litsea sp., Mikania scandens, Gmelina arborea, Artocarpus chaplasha, Syzygium fruticosum, Ficus racemosa, Ficus hispida, Ficus indica, and F. fistulosa.The three accepted subspecies of this lutung are:T. p. crepusculusT. p. phayreiT. p. shanicus
Other animals of the family Cercopithecidae
Phayre’s leaf monkey is a member of the Cercopithecidae, as are these animals:
- Greater spot-nosed monkey with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Gee’s golden langur with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Preuss’s red colobus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Black-footed gray langur weighting around 10.03 kilograms (22.11 lbs)
- Hamlyn’s monkey with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Celebes crested macaque with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Western red colobus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Patas monkey with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Moustached guenon with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Golden snub-nosed monkey with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Phayre’s leaf monkey
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Hawaiian monk seal
- Cyclops roundleaf bat
- Malagasy civet
- Bighorn sheep
- Banana pipistrelle
- Black-footed mongoose
- Subantarctic fur seal
- La Plata dolphin
Animals with the same weight as a Phayre’s leaf monkey
What other animals weight around 7.69 kg (16.96 lbs)?
- White-bellied spider monkey usually reaching 6.71 kgs (14.79 lbs)
- Brush-tailed rock-wallaby usually reaching 6.94 kgs (15.3 lbs)
- Malayan porcupine usually reaching 8 kgs (17.64 lbs)
- Tana River red colobus usually reaching 8.03 kgs (17.7 lbs)
- Coypu usually reaching 6.36 kgs (14.02 lbs)
- Dusky leaf monkey usually reaching 7.18 kgs (15.83 lbs)
- Patagonian mara usually reaching 8.03 kgs (17.7 lbs)
- Culpeo usually reaching 8.62 kgs (19 lbs)
- Honey badger usually reaching 9 kgs (19.84 lbs)
- Black crested gibbon usually reaching 6.43 kgs (14.18 lbs)