How many baby La Plata dolphins are in a litter?
A La Plata dolphin (Pontoporia blainvillei) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 326 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 1.65 kg (3.63 lbs) and measure 2 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Platanistidae family (genus: Pontoporia). An adult La Plata dolphin grows up to a size of 89 cm (3′ 0″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The La Plata dolphin, franciscana or toninha (Pontoporia blainvillei) is a species of dolphin found in coastal Atlantic waters of southeastern South America. It is a member of the river dolphin group and the only one that lives in the ocean and saltwater estuaries, rather than inhabiting exclusively freshwater systems. Commercialized areas that create agricultural runoffs and/or industrialized zones can affect the health of the La Plata dolphin, especially in regards to their contributions of waste and pollution, which can lead to habitat degradation and poisoned food among other concerns.
Other animals of the family Platanistidae
La Plata dolphin is a member of the Platanistidae, as are these animals:
- South Asian river dolphin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- South Asian river dolphin becoming 28 years old
- Baiji with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Amazon river dolphin with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with La Plata dolphin
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Sloth bear
- Long-fingered triok
- Yellow-footed rock-wallaby
- Northern hairy-nosed wombat
- Western red colobus
- Cotton-top tamarin
- Thomas’s mosaic-tailed rat
- Pygmy scaly-tailed flying squirrel
- Papuan bandicoot
Animals that get as old as a La Plata dolphin
Other animals that usually reach the age of 16 years:
- Red-rumped agouti with 17.75 years
- Pygmy sperm whale with 17 years
- Microcebus coquereli with 15.25 years
- Black-striped wallaby with 15 years
- Nabarlek with 17 years
- Argali with 15 years
- Mountain gazelle with 18.25 years
- Black-mantled tamarin with 15.17 years
- Hamlyn’s monkey with 13.5 years
- Cape ground squirrel with 13 years
Animals with the same weight as a La Plata dolphin
What other animals weight around 40.5 kg (89.28 lbs)?
- Wolf usually reaching 33.38 kgs (73.59 lbs)
- Chilean dolphin usually reaching 45 kgs (99.21 lbs)
- Chamois usually reaching 33.11 kgs (72.99 lbs)
- Harnessed bushbuck usually reaching 43.28 kgs (95.42 lbs)
- Heaviside’s dolphin usually reaching 40 kgs (88.18 lbs)
- Calamian deer usually reaching 39.66 kgs (87.44 lbs)
- Vicuña usually reaching 47.5 kgs (104.72 lbs)
- Nubian ibex usually reaching 47.68 kgs (105.12 lbs)
- Giant armadillo usually reaching 41.33 kgs (91.12 lbs)
- Indian hog deer usually reaching 37.27 kgs (82.17 lbs)