How many baby Dalton’s mouses are in a litter?
A Dalton’s mouse (Praomys daltoni) usually gives birth to around 5 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 10 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 27 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Praomys). An adult Dalton’s mouse grows up to a size of 34.9 cm (1′ 2″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Dalton’s mouse or Dalton’s praomys (Praomys daltoni) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae.It is found in Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Ivory Coast, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Sudan, and Togo.Its natural habitats are dry savanna, rocky areas, and urban areas.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Dalton’s mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Peters’s mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Dusky mosaic-tailed rat raching a size of 15.2 cm (0′ 6″)
- Oreoryzomys weighting only 60 grams
- Southern multimammate mouse with 7 babies per pregnancy
- Link rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Pallid Atlantic Forest rat weighting only 90 grams
- Van Deusen’s rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Banana climbing mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Thomas’s giant deer mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Rio de Janeiro arboreal rat weighting only 93 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Dalton’s mouse
Those animals also give birth to 5 babies at once:
- Meadow vole
- Merriam’s shrew
- Shaw’s jird
- Golden-mantled ground squirrel
- Soft-furred rat
- Northern short-tailed shrew
- Persian jird
- Star-nosed mole
- Javan warty pig
- Gansu shrew
Animals with the same weight as a Dalton’s mouse
What other animals weight around 34 grams (0.07 lbs)?
- Hatt’s vesper rat weighting 36 grams
- Anderson’s gerbil weighting 31 grams
- Blackish deer mouse weighting 32 grams
- Delectable soft-furred mouse weighting 35 grams
- Akodon sylvanus weighting 39 grams
- Luzon montane forest mouse weighting 34 grams
- Pousargues African fat mouse weighting 40 grams
- Hairy-tailed bolo mouse weighting 39 grams
- Dorothy’s slender opossum weighting 37 grams
- Dobson’s shrew tenrec weighting 37 grams