How many baby Guinea multimammate mouses are in a litter?
A Guinea multimammate mouse (Mastomys erythroleucus) usually gives birth to around 11 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 21 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 8.9 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Mastomys). An adult Guinea multimammate mouse grows up to a size of 45.1 cm (1′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Guinea multimammate mouse (Mastomys erythroleucus) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae found in Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, the Central African Republic, Chad, the Republic of the Congo, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Togo, and Uganda.Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests, dry savanna, moist savanna, subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, subtropical or tropical moist shrubland, arable land, rural gardens, urban areas, and irrigated land. They weigh between 12 and 105 grams.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Guinea multimammate mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Black-tailed mosaic-tailed rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Great Balkhan mouse-like hamster with 5 babies per pregnancy
- False canyon mouse raching a size of 8.4 cm (0′ 4″)
- Lindbergh’s grass mouse weighting only 26 grams
- Anderson’s gerbil weighting only 31 grams
- Hispid cotton rat with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Aegialomys galapagoensis becoming 1.67 years old
- Cerradomys subflavus with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Eastern chestnut mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Sumichrast’s harvest mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Guinea multimammate mouse
Those animals also give birth to 11 babies at once:
Animals with the same weight as a Guinea multimammate mouse
What other animals weight around 64 grams (0.14 lbs)?
- Oecomys rex weighting 73 grams
- Pyrenean desman weighting 60 grams
- Oecomys flavicans weighting 73 grams
- Robinson’s mouse opossum weighting 61 grams
- Northern collared lemming weighting 58 grams
- Chelemys macronyx weighting 72 grams
- Euryoryzomys russatus weighting 60 grams
- Oryzomys gorgasi weighting 60 grams
- Thick-tailed three-toed jerboa weighting 60 grams
- Mearns’s pouched mouse weighting 64 grams