How many baby Humpback whales are in a litter?
A Humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 349 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 1300 kg (2866.01 lbs) and measure 1.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Balaenopteridae family (genus: Megaptera). An adult Humpback whale grows up to a size of 12.87 meter (42′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) is a species of baleen whale. It is one of the larger rorqual species, with adults ranging in length from 12–16 m (39–52 ft) and weighing around 25–30 metric tons (28–33 short tons). The humpback has a distinctive body shape, with long pectoral fins and a knobbly head. It is known for breaching and other distinctive surface behaviors, making it popular with whale watchers. Males produce a complex song lasting 10 to 20 minutes, which they repeat for hours at a time. All the males in a group will produce the same song, which is different each season. Its purpose is not clear, though it may help induce estrus in females.Found in oceans and seas around the world, humpback whales typically migrate up to 25,000 km (16,000 mi) each year. They feed in polar waters, and migrate to tropical or subtropical waters to breed and give birth, fasting and living off their fat reserves. Their diet consists mostly of krill and small fish. Humpbacks have a diverse repertoire of feeding methods, including the bubble net technique.Like other large whales, the humpback was a target for the whaling industry. The species was once hunted to the brink of extinction; its population fell by an estimated 90% before a 1966 moratorium. While stocks have partially recovered to some 80,000 animals worldwide, entanglement in fishing gear, collisions with ships and noise pollution continue to affect the species.
Other animals of the family Balaenopteridae
Humpback whale is a member of the Balaenopteridae, as are these animals:
- Sei whale with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Common minke whale with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Blue whale with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Fin whale with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Bryde’s whale becoming 72 years old
Animals that share a litter size with Humpback whale
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Greater mouse-eared bat
- Molossops planirostris
- Hammer-headed bat
- Honduran white bat
- Speke’s gazelle
- Maned rat
- South American tapir
- Large slit-faced bat
- Felou gundi
- Mediterranean monk seal
Animals that get as old as a Humpback whale
Other animals that usually reach the age of 95 years:
- African bush elephant with 80 years
- Gray whale with 77 years
- Asian elephant with 80 years
- Killer whale with 100 years
- Sperm whale with 77 years
- Blue whale with 110 years
Animals with the same weight as a Humpback whale
What other animals weight around 30000 kg (66138.6 lbs)?
- Gray whale usually reaching 27312.01 kgs (60212.6 lbs)
- Pygmy right whale usually reaching 32000 kgs (70547.84 lbs)
Animals with the same size as a Humpback whale
Also reaching around 12.87 meter (42′ 3″) in size do these animals:
- Sperm whale gets as big as 12.18 meter (40′ 0″)
- Bryde’s whale gets as big as 13.85 meter (45′ 6″)
- Bowhead whale gets as big as 12.2 meter (40′ 1″)
- Southern right whale gets as big as 14.15 meter (46′ 6″)
- Gray whale gets as big as 11.84 meter (38′ 11″)
- North Atlantic right whale gets as big as 13.92 meter (45′ 9″)