How many baby Indian hairy-footed gerbils are in a litter?
A Indian hairy-footed gerbil (Gerbillus gleadowi) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 20 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 3.4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Gerbillus). An adult Indian hairy-footed gerbil grows up to a size of 8.3 cm (0′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Indian hairy-footed gerbil (Gerbillus gleadowi) is a species of gerbil found mainly in Pakistan and northwestern India,They inhabit dry, sandy, and rocky country with sparse vegetation. Their burrows are often closed with sand. They feed nocturnally on seeds, roots, nuts, grasses and insects.They breed throughout the year. Their gestation period is 20–22 days, with litters of four or five naked pups, on average. The young open their eyes at 16–20 days, and they are weaned by their parents after a month.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Indian hairy-footed gerbil is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Moss-forest rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Pearson’s chaco mouse weighting only 25 grams
- Mindanao shrew-rat raching a size of 9 cm (0′ 4″)
- Coues’s climbing mouse weighting only 89 grams
- Highveld gerbil with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Gray-tailed narrow-headed rat weighting only 85 grams
- Link rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Luzon striped rat weighting only 152 grams
- Flat-headed vole with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Great gerbil with 4 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Indian hairy-footed gerbil
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- European badger
- Narrow-striped marsupial shrew
- True’s shrew mole
- Lesser mole-rat
- Egyptian mongoose
- Singing vole
- Amazonian marsh rat
- Monito del monte
- Painted spiny pocket mouse
- Black-footed ferret
Animals with the same weight as a Indian hairy-footed gerbil
What other animals weight around 26 grams (0.06 lbs)?
- Oligoryzomys longicaudatus weighting 27 grams
- African yellow bat weighting 25 grams
- Percival’s spiny mouse weighting 22 grams
- Chiriqui harvest mouse weighting 22 grams
- São Paulo grass mouse weighting 27 grams
- Eva’s desert mouse weighting 21 grams
- Schreber’s yellow bat weighting 26 grams
- Zagros Mountains mouse-like hamster weighting 21 grams
- Rümmler’s brush mouse weighting 29 grams
- Stirton’s deer mouse weighting 29 grams