How many baby Insular single leaf bats are in a litter?
A Insular single leaf bat (Monophyllus plethodon) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 80 kg (176.37 lbs) and measure 2.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Phyllostomidae family (genus: Monophyllus). An adult Insular single leaf bat grows up to a size of 5.1 meter (16′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The insular single leaf bat or Lesser Antillean long-tongued bat (Monophyllus plethodon) is a species of bat in the family Phyllostomidae. It is found on the Lesser Antilles, on Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Dominica, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Montserrat, Saint Lucia, and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.Puerto Rican long-nosed bat, Monophyllus plethodon prater, is an extinct subspecies of insular single leaf bat from Puerto Rico.
Other animals of the family Phyllostomidae
Insular single leaf bat is a member of the Phyllostomidae, as are these animals:
- Brown fruit-eating bat weighting only 19 grams
- MacConnell’s bat weighting only 6 grams
- Flat-faced fruit-eating bat weighting only 47 grams
- Little white-shouldered bat weighting only 10 grams
- Carriker’s round-eared bat weighting only 22 grams
- Aztec fruit-eating bat weighting only 20 grams
- Greater round-eared bat weighting only 27 grams
- Toltec fruit-eating bat weighting only 15 grams
- Fringe-lipped bat weighting only 36 grams
- Miller’s long-tongued bat weighting only 13 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Insular single leaf bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Greater noctule bat
- Spotted giant flying squirrel
- Leadbeater’s possum
- Thomas’s fruit-eating bat
- Mahogany glider
- Brown titi
- Antarctic fur seal
- Southern hairy-nosed wombat
Animals with the same weight as a Insular single leaf bat
What other animals weight around 15 grams (0.03 lbs)?
- Algerian mouse weighting 16 grams
- Greater long-tailed hamster weighting 13 grams
- Pygmy fruit bat weighting 15 grams
- Eligmodontia typus weighting 17 grams
- Long-tongued nectar bat weighting 16 grams
- Eastern red bat weighting 12 grams
- Sandy inland mouse weighting 14 grams
- Golden bat weighting 12 grams
- Naked-nosed shrew tenrec weighting 18 grams
- Dark-footed mouse shrew weighting 12 grams