How many baby Mashona mole-rats are in a litter?
A Mashona mole-rat (Cryptomys darlingi) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 57 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 7 grams (0.02 lbs) and measure 3.6 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Bathyergidae family (genus: Cryptomys). An adult Mashona mole-rat grows up to a size of 21.4 cm (0′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Mashona mole-rat (Fukomys darlingi) is a species of rodent in the family Bathyergidae.It is found in Mozambique and Zimbabwe.Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, subtropical or tropical dry lowland grassland, and caves.
Other animals of the family Bathyergidae
Mashona mole-rat is a member of the Bathyergidae, as are these animals:
- Zambian mole-rat weighting only 76 grams
- Cape dune mole-rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Bocage’s mole-rat weighting only 93 grams
- Cape mole-rat with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Damaraland mole-rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Common mole-rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Namaqua dune mole-rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Ansell’s mole-rat weighting only 85 grams
- Silvery mole-rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Mechow’s mole-rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Mashona mole-rat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Townsend’s big-eared bat
- Brown woolly monkey
- Black flying squirrel
- Black-tailed hutia
- Grizzled tree-kangaroo
- Scaly-tailed possum
- Sowerby’s beaked whale
- Heart-nosed bat
- Moustached guenon
Animals with the same weight as a Mashona mole-rat
What other animals weight around 65 grams (0.14 lbs)?
- Whitehead’s spiny rat weighting 57 grams
- Oecomys rex weighting 73 grams
- Lesser tufted-tailed rat weighting 57 grams
- Red-bellied mosaic-tailed rat weighting 78 grams
- Small hocicudo weighting 67 grams
- Mongolian gerbil weighting 57 grams
- Agile kangaroo rat weighting 60 grams
- Fawn-footed mosaic-tailed rat weighting 71 grams
- Gray leaf-eared mouse weighting 68 grams
- Thick-tailed three-toed jerboa weighting 60 grams