How many baby Michoacan deer mouses are in a litter?
A Michoacan deer mouse (Osgoodomys banderanus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 5 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 2.37 meter (7′ 10″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Osgoodomys). An adult Michoacan deer mouse grows up to a size of 16 cm (0′ 7″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Michoacan deer mouse (Osgoodomys banderanus) is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae. The only species in the genus Osgoodomys, it is found only in Mexico.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Michoacan deer mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Dickey’s deer mouse weighting only 28 grams
- Alston’s cotton rat with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Pale field rat with 5 babies per pregnancy
- House mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser short-tailed gerbil with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Mimic tree rat weighting only 975 grams
- African grass rat with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Soft-furred Oldfield mouse weighting only 35 grams
- White-eared cotton rat weighting only 132 grams
- Buffoon striped grass mouse weighting only 26 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Michoacan deer mouse
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Jalapan pine vole
- Spotted seal
- Striped bush squirrel
- Caribbean monk seal
- Brown-throated sloth
- White-nosed saki
- Broad-striped Malagasy mongoose
- Short-beaked echidna
- Rafinesque’s big-eared bat
- Greater Asiatic yellow bat
Animals with the same weight as a Michoacan deer mouse
What other animals weight around 49 grams (0.11 lbs)?
- Typical striped grass mouse weighting 43 grams
- White-footed climbing mouse weighting 40 grams
- Black-tailed mouse weighting 40 grams
- Horsfield’s fruit bat weighting 55 grams
- Brucepattersonius iheringi weighting 43 grams
- Southern multimammate mouse weighting 53 grams
- Southern red-sided opossum weighting 48 grams
- Emilia’s short-tailed opossum weighting 52 grams
- Red-tailed phascogale weighting 43 grams
- Arends’s golden mole weighting 52 grams