How many baby Neacomys tenuipess are in a litter?
A Neacomys tenuipes (Neacomys tenuipes) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.With 6 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 18 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 145 grams (0.32 lbs) and measure 3 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Neacomys). An adult Neacomys tenuipes grows up to a size of 52.8 cm (1′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Neacomys tenuipes, also known as the narrow-footed neacomys or narrow-footed bristly mouse, is found along the northern Andes from northwestern Venezuela through Colombia into Ecuador, in rainforest at elevations from 400 to 1750 m. Populations of small Neacomys in the lowland Amazon basin, previously assigned to this species, are now recognized as belonging to separate species.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Neacomys tenuipes is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Gray-bellied tree mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Thomas’s Oldfield mouse weighting only 77 grams
- Kemp’s grass mouse weighting only 26 grams
- Mamore arboreal rice rat weighting only 62 grams
- San Lorenzo mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Small Luzon forest mouse weighting only 35 grams
- Haggard’s leaf-eared mouse weighting only 42 grams
- Kemp’s gerbil with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Desert pygmy mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Highland brush mouse with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Neacomys tenuipes
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Dolorous grass mouse
- Swinhoe’s striped squirrel
- Salt marsh harvest mouse
- Abrothrix longipilis
- Thick-tailed three-toed jerboa
- European mole
- Père David’s mole
- Prairie vole
- Ochre mole-rat
- Hairy-footed gerbil
Animals with the same weight as a Neacomys tenuipes
What other animals weight around 19 grams (0.04 lbs)?
- Sinaloan mastiff bat weighting 22 grams
- Eastern false pipistrelle weighting 22 grams
- Ruwenzori shrew weighting 18 grams
- Monte gerbil mouse weighting 18 grams
- Japanese shrew mole weighting 18 grams
- Mottled-tailed shrew mouse weighting 18 grams
- Striped field mouse weighting 21 grams
- Drylands vesper mouse weighting 20 grams
- Juliana’s golden mole weighting 21 grams
- Northern ghost bat weighting 16 grams