How many baby Nilgiri striped squirrels are in a litter?
A Nilgiri striped squirrel (Funambulus sublineatus) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 6 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 8.3 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Sciuridae family (genus: Funambulus). An adult Nilgiri striped squirrel grows up to a size of 45.7 cm (1′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Nilgiri striped squirrel (Funambulus sublineatus) is a threatened species of rodent, a small squirrel (Sciuridae) from rainforests in the southern Western Ghats, including the Nilgiris, in Peninsular India. It formerly included Funambulus obscurus from Sri Lanka as a subspecies, at which point the English name of the “combined species” also was dusky striped squirrel (a name now restricted to the Sri Lankan species).
Other animals of the family Sciuridae
Nilgiri striped squirrel is a member of the Sciuridae, as are these animals:
- Mentawai three-striped squirrel weighting only 241 grams
- Philippine pygmy squirrel with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Indian palm squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Swynnerton’s bush squirrel weighting only 675 grams
- Red and white giant flying squirrel weighting around 1.5 kilograms (3.31 lbs)
- Basilan flying squirrel raching a size of 24.8 cm (0′ 10″)
- Fire-footed rope squirrel with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Cooper’s mountain squirrel weighting only 250 grams
- Congo rope squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Black-striped squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Nilgiri striped squirrel
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Western barbastelle
- Clara’s echymipera
- Japanese hare
- Hoary bat
- Nyctophilus corbeni
- American marten
- Cape porcupine
- Big-eared climbing rat
- Eastern barred bandicoot
- Somali serotine
Animals with the same weight as a Nilgiri striped squirrel
What other animals weight around 70 grams (0.15 lbs)?
- Beady-eyed mouse weighting 77 grams
- Pittier’s crab-eating rat weighting 69 grams
- Eastern chestnut mouse weighting 79 grams
- Moncton’s mosaic-tailed rat weighting 80 grams
- Paramo Oldfield mouse weighting 77 grams
- Distinguished Oldfield mouse weighting 77 grams
- Long-tailed fruit bat weighting 68 grams
- Horsfield’s fruit bat weighting 56 grams
- Philippine dawn bat weighting 78 grams
- Whitehead’s spiny rat weighting 57 grams