How many baby Pel’s pouched bats are in a litter?
A Pel’s pouched bat (Saccolaimus peli) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 2.25 kg (4.96 lbs) and measure 3.7 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Emballonuridae family (genus: Saccolaimus). An adult Pel’s pouched bat grows up to a size of 12.9 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Pel’s pouched bat (Saccolaimus peli) is a species of sac-winged bat in the family Emballonuridae.It is found in Angola, Cameroon, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Nigeria, and Uganda.Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests and subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests.It is threatened by habitat loss.
Other animals of the family Emballonuridae
Pel’s pouched bat is a member of the Emballonuridae, as are these animals:
- Coastal sheath-tailed bat weighting only 12 grams
- Naked-rumped tomb bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Shaggy bat weighting only 23 grams
- Taphozous philippinensis with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser sheath-tailed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Naked-rumped pouched bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Egyptian tomb bat weighting only 24 grams
- Lesser ghost bat weighting only 13 grams
- Hill’s sheath-tailed bat weighting only 22 grams
- Greater ghost bat weighting only 12 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Pel’s pouched bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Leschenault’s rousette
- Painted bat
- Ground cuscus
- Commerson’s roundleaf bat
- Common vampire bat
- Black flying fox
- Prince Demidoff’s bushbaby
- Red-shanked douc
- Heart-nosed bat
- Pennant’s colobus
Animals with the same weight as a Pel’s pouched bat
What other animals weight around 53 grams (0.12 lbs)?
- Mountain mosaic-tailed rat weighting 47 grams
- Natal multimammate mouse weighting 49 grams
- Balkan snow vole weighting 56 grams
- Pallas’s tube-nosed bat weighting 44 grams
- Nikolaus’s mouse weighting 52 grams
- Córdoba vesper mouse weighting 49 grams
- Dusky slender opossum weighting 46 grams
- Robbins’s tateril weighting 47 grams
- Temminck’s flying squirrel weighting 43 grams
- Panamint chipmunk weighting 51 grams