How many baby Savi’s pipistrelles are in a litter?
A Savi’s pipistrelle (Hypsugo savii) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 1.5 kg (3.31 lbs) and measure 6 cm (0′ 3″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Hypsugo). An adult Savi’s pipistrelle grows up to a size of 1.21 meter (4′ 0″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Savi’s pipistrelle (Hypsugo savii sometimes classified as Pipistrellus savii) is a species of vesper bat found across North West Africa, the Mediterranean region and the Middle East. It feeds at night on flying insects. In the summer it roosts under bark, in holes in trees, in old buildings and in rock crevices but in winter it prefers roosts where the temperature is more even such as caves, underground vaults and deep rock cracks.
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Savi’s pipistrelle is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Grey long-eared bat becoming 15 years old
- Harlequin bat weighting only 22 grams
- Papillose woolly bat weighting only 10 grams
- Eastern forest bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Black myotis becoming 3.5 years old
- Nyctophilus corbeni with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Brown long-eared bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Robust yellow bat raching a size of 15.2 cm (0′ 6″)
- Malagasy serotine with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Common bent-wing bat becoming 14 years old
Animals that share a litter size with Savi’s pipistrelle
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Honey badger
- Yellow golden mole
- Eastern rat
- White-bellied mosaic-tailed rat
- Moss-forest rat
- Sandy inland mouse
- Bottego’s shrew
- Tome’s spiny rat
Animals with the same weight as a Savi’s pipistrelle
What other animals weight around 6 grams (0.01 lbs)?
- Little brown bat weighting 7 grams
- Dent’s horseshoe bat weighting 6 grams
- Dormer’s bat weighting 6 grams
- Zacatecas shrew weighting 7 grams
- Jones’s roundleaf bat weighting 5 grams
- Elgon shrew weighting 6 grams
- Kellen’s dormouse weighting 5 grams
- Ludia’s shrew weighting 5 grams
- Saint Lawrence Island shrew weighting 6 grams
- Nathusius’s pipistrelle weighting 7 grams