How many baby Schreber’s yellow bats are in a litter?
A Schreber’s yellow bat (Scotophilus nigrita) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 6 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 1.6 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Scotophilus). An adult Schreber’s yellow bat grows up to a size of 23.6 cm (0′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Schreber’s yellow bat (Scotophilus nigrita) or the giant house bat, is a species of vesper bat. It is found in Benin, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, Togo, and Zimbabwe. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests, dry savanna, and moist savanna. It is an uncommon species and its biology is poorly known. It was first described in 1774 by the German naturalist Johann Christian Daniel von Schreber, who named it Vespertilio nigrita. It was later transferred to the genus Scotophilus, making it Scotophilus nigrita.
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Schreber’s yellow bat is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Grey long-eared bat becoming 15 years old
- Common bent-wing bat becoming 14 years old
- Savi’s pipistrelle with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Asian particolored bat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Somali serotine with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Chocolate wattled bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Botswanan long-eared bat weighting only 7 grams
- Peters’s trumpet-eared bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Hoary bat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Common thick-thumbed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Schreber’s yellow bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Bald uakari
- Eastern grey kangaroo
- Southern tamandua
- Pemba flying fox
- Long-finned pilot whale
- Indian flying fox
- Black-footed mongoose
Animals with the same weight as a Schreber’s yellow bat
What other animals weight around 26 grams (0.06 lbs)?
- Greater mouse-eared bat weighting 25 grams
- Greater red musk shrew weighting 31 grams
- Thespian grass mouse weighting 24 grams
- Kultarr weighting 25 grams
- São Paulo grass mouse weighting 27 grams
- Rümmler’s brush mouse weighting 29 grams
- Geoxus valdivianus weighting 31 grams
- Oligoryzomys flavescens weighting 21 grams
- Wimmer’s shrew weighting 23 grams
- Chiriqui harvest mouse weighting 22 grams