How many baby Western tree hyraxs are in a litter?
A Western tree hyrax (Dendrohyrax dorsalis) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 236 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 200 grams (0.44 lbs) and measure 0.4 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Procaviidae family (genus: Dendrohyrax). An adult Western tree hyrax grows up to a size of 49.9 cm (1′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The western tree hyrax (Dendrohyrax dorsalis), also called the western tree dassie or Beecroft’s tree hyrax, is a species of tree hyrax within the family Procaviidae. It can be distinguished from other hyraxes by short coarse fur, presence of white patch of fur beneath the chin, lack of hair on the rostrum, and lower crowns of the cheek teeth compared to other members of the same genus.
Other animals of the family Procaviidae
Western tree hyrax is a member of the Procaviidae, as are these animals:
- Southern tree hyrax becoming 10 years old
- Yellow-spotted rock hyrax with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Southern tree hyrax with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Heterohyrax antineae becoming 12 years old
- Rock hyrax with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Western tree hyrax
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Rufous soft-furred spiny rat
- Eld’s deer
- Seba’s short-tailed bat
- Large flying fox
- Rüppell’s pipistrelle
- Jamaican fruit bat
- Fin whale
- Bicolored-spined porcupine
- Aberdare mole shrew
Animals that get as old as a Western tree hyrax
Other animals that usually reach the age of 10 years:
- Spectral tarsier with 12 years
- Four-horned antelope with 10.75 years
- San Diego pocket mouse with 8.25 years
- Common dwarf mongoose with 10.92 years
- Philippine porcupine with 9.5 years
- Gray brocket with 12 years
- Yellow-bellied marmot with 8 years
- Banded linsang with 10.67 years
- Asian small-clawed otter with 10.08 years
- Gray dorcopsis with 8 years
Animals with the same weight as a Western tree hyrax
What other animals weight around 3.18 kg (7 lbs)?
- Golden-backed uakari usually reaching 3.13 kgs (6.9 lbs)
- Dryas monkey usually reaching 2.78 kgs (6.13 lbs)
- Asian small-clawed otter usually reaching 3.53 kgs (7.78 lbs)
- Macleay’s dorcopsis usually reaching 2.78 kgs (6.13 lbs)
- Short-eared possum usually reaching 3.13 kgs (6.9 lbs)
- Azara’s agouti usually reaching 2.98 kgs (6.57 lbs)
- Moustached guenon usually reaching 3.44 kgs (7.58 lbs)
- Sri Lankan spotted chevrotain usually reaching 3.11 kgs (6.86 lbs)
- Egyptian mongoose usually reaching 3 kgs (6.61 lbs)
- Marsh mongoose usually reaching 3.6 kgs (7.94 lbs)