How many baby Zygodontomys brevicaudas are in a litter?
A Zygodontomys brevicauda (Zygodontomys brevicauda) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.With 5 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 20 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 25 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 11.1 cm (0′ 5″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Zygodontomys). An adult Zygodontomys brevicauda grows up to a size of 9.8 cm (0′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Zygodontomys brevicauda, also known as the short-tailed zygodont, short-tailed cane mouse, or common cane mouse, is a species of rodent in the genus Zygodontomys of tribe Oryzomyini. It occurs from Costa Rica via Panama, Colombia and Venezuela into Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana and northern Brazil, including Trinidad and Tobago.It includes three subspecies: Zygodontomys brevicauda brevicaudaZygodontomys brevicauda cherrieiZygodontomys brevicauda microtinus.Many Zygodontomys brevicauda serve as viral reservoirs, causing illnesses such as Venezuelan hemorrhagic fever.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Zygodontomys brevicauda is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Neacomys guianae weighting only 15 grams
- Small-toothed harvest mouse weighting only 20 grams
- Maned rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Oecomys cleberi weighting only 73 grams
- Phillips’s gerbil weighting only 127 grams
- Himalayan field rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Mediterranean pine vole with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Chestnut white-bellied rat with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Anthony’s woodrat weighting only 195 grams
- Brush-tailed rabbit rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Zygodontomys brevicauda
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Greater hamster-rat
- Long-tailed dunnart
- Turkestan red pika
- Eastern heather vole
- Side-striped jackal
- Marsh rice rat
- Giant naked-tailed rat
- California pocket mouse
- Caucasian squirrel
- Pallas’s cat
Animals with the same weight as a Zygodontomys brevicauda
What other animals weight around 52 grams (0.11 lbs)?
- Mountain mosaic-tailed rat weighting 47 grams
- Capricorn leaf-eared mouse weighting 50 grams
- Pale gerbil weighting 52 grams
- Red-tailed phascogale weighting 43 grams
- Hainan gymnure weighting 52 grams
- Andean rat weighting 53 grams
- Large myotis weighting 42 grams
- Defua rat weighting 43 grams
- Buffy broad-nosed bat weighting 50 grams
- Peters’s striped mouse weighting 54 grams