It is hard to guess what a Black agouti weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Black agouti (Dasyprocta fuliginosa) on average weights 3.5 kg (7.72 lbs).
The Black agouti is from the family Dasyproctidae (genus: Dasyprocta). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 17.5 cm (0′ 7″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The black agouti, Dasyprocta fuliginosa, is a South American species of agouti from the family Dasyproctidae. It is found in the northwestern Amazon in southern Venezuela, eastern Colombia, eastern Ecuador, western Brazil and northeastern Peru. There is also a disjunct population in the Magdalena River Valley of northern Colombia. The black agouti weighs 3.5–6 kg (7.7–13.2 lb). It is overall black grizzled white, and the throat is white. Like other agoutis, the black agouti is diurnal, lives alone or in pairs, and feeds on fruits and nuts.They are found in forests, thick brush, savannas and cultivated areas. In Peru, they are confined to the Amazonian region where they are found in all parts of the low selva zone and many parts of the high selva zone. It is found at altitudes of 2,000 metres (6,600 ft) and above. Agoutis live in close proximity to water, being found on the banks of all types of streams.In some areas, they construct burrows among limestone boulders, along river banks or under the roots of trees.
Animals of the same family as a Black agouti
We found other animals of the Dasyproctidae family:
- Black-rumped agouti bringing 2.9 kilos (6.39 lbs) to the scale
- Green acouchi with a weight of 966 grams
- Mexican agouti bringing 5 kilos (11.02 lbs) to the scale
- Red acouchi with a weight of 949 grams
- Red acouchi bringing 1.25 kilos (2.76 lbs) to the scale
- Central American agouti bringing 2.31 kilos (5.09 lbs) to the scale
- Kalinowski’s agouti bringing 2.65 kilos (5.84 lbs) to the scale
- Red-rumped agouti bringing 3.02 kilos (6.66 lbs) to the scale
- Orinoco agouti bringing 2.65 kilos (5.84 lbs) to the scale
- Azara’s agouti bringing 2.98 kilos (6.57 lbs) to the scale
Animals with the same weight as a Black agouti
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Dasyprocta fuliginosa:
- Tehuantepec jackrabbit with a weight of 3 kilos (6.61 lbs)
- Brazilian porcupine with a weight of 4.12 kilos (9.08 lbs)
- Rufous rat-kangaroo with a weight of 2.81 kilos (6.19 lbs)
- Greater cane rat with a weight of 3.75 kilos (8.27 lbs)
- Quokka with a weight of 3.03 kilos (6.68 lbs)
- Groundhog with a weight of 3.88 kilos (8.55 lbs)
- Golden-crowned sifaka with a weight of 3.53 kilos (7.78 lbs)
- Gray fox with a weight of 3.83 kilos (8.44 lbs)
- American hog-nosed skunk with a weight of 3.37 kilos (7.43 lbs)
- Cat with a weight of 2.88 kilos (6.35 lbs)