It is hard to guess what a Mexican agouti weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Mexican agouti (Dasyprocta mexicana) on average weights 5 kg (11.02 lbs).
The Mexican agouti is from the family Dasyproctidae (genus: Dasyprocta). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 57.4 cm (1′ 11″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The Mexican agouti (Dasyprocta mexicana), also known as the Mexican black agouti, is a species of rodent in the family Dasyproctidae. It is native to lowland evergreen forest and second growth in southern Mexico (Veracruz, Oaxaca, Chiapas and Tabasco), but has also been introduced to Cuba. This critically endangered species is threatened by habitat loss. Its overall blackish color separates it from the only other agouti found in Mexico, the Central American agouti.
Animals of the same family as a Mexican agouti
We found other animals of the Dasyproctidae family:
- Green acouchi with a weight of 966 grams
- Azara’s agouti bringing 2.98 kilos (6.57 lbs) to the scale
- Black-rumped agouti bringing 2.9 kilos (6.39 lbs) to the scale
- Central American agouti bringing 2.31 kilos (5.09 lbs) to the scale
- Black agouti bringing 3.5 kilos (7.72 lbs) to the scale
- Kalinowski’s agouti bringing 2.65 kilos (5.84 lbs) to the scale
- Red acouchi with a weight of 949 grams
- Red acouchi bringing 1.25 kilos (2.76 lbs) to the scale
- Red-rumped agouti bringing 3.02 kilos (6.66 lbs) to the scale
- Crested agouti bringing 2.65 kilos (5.84 lbs) to the scale
Animals with the same weight as a Mexican agouti
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Dasyprocta mexicana:
- European wildcat with a weight of 4.53 kilos (9.99 lbs)
- Silvery gibbon with a weight of 5.87 kilos (12.94 lbs)
- Red-necked pademelon with a weight of 5.4 kilos (11.9 lbs)
- White-striped dorcopsis with a weight of 5.5 kilos (12.13 lbs)
- Crab-eating fox with a weight of 5.74 kilos (12.65 lbs)
- Spotted-necked otter with a weight of 4.19 kilos (9.24 lbs)
- Preuss’s monkey with a weight of 5.14 kilos (11.33 lbs)
- White-thighed surili with a weight of 5.9 kilos (13.01 lbs)
- Müeller’s gibbon with a weight of 5.92 kilos (13.05 lbs)
- Tibetan sand fox with a weight of 5.54 kilos (12.21 lbs)