It is hard to guess what a Cape gerbil weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Cape gerbil (Tatera afra) on average weights 92 grams (0.2 lbs).
The Cape gerbil is from the family Muridae (genus: Tatera). It is usually born with about 4 grams (0.01 lbs). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 11.7 cm (0′ 5″). On average, Cape gerbils can have babies 6 times per year with a litter size of 3.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The Cape gerbil, Gerbilliscus afra, is a species of gerbil found only in South Africa. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry shrubland and temperate desert.
Animals of the same family as a Cape gerbil
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Hildegarde’s broad-headed mouse with a weight of 55 grams
- Master leaf-eared mouse with a weight of 68 grams
- Turkestan rat with 4 babies per litter
- Zygodontomys brevicauda with a weight of 52 grams
- Indian gerbil with a weight of 138 grams
- Pseudoryzomys with a weight of 45 grams
- Charming climbing mouse with a weight of 89 grams
- Large-toothed hairy-tailed rat with a size of 19.5 cm (0′ 8″)
- Long-tailed dwarf hamster with 5 babies per litter
- Serra do Mar grass mouse with a weight of 28 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Cape gerbil
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Tatera afra:
- Australian swamp rat bringing 106 grams to the scale
- Kemp’s gerbil bringing 101 grams to the scale
- Kimberley rock rat bringing 95 grams to the scale
- Red rock rat bringing 81 grams to the scale
- Leschenault’s rousette bringing 84 grams to the scale
- Zygodontomys brunneus bringing 75 grams to the scale
- Big bonneted bat bringing 83 grams to the scale
- Long-haired rousette bringing 104 grams to the scale
- Slender rat bringing 97 grams to the scale
- Central American dwarf squirrel bringing 87 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Cape gerbil
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (3) as a Cape gerbil: