It is hard to guess what a Fringe-tailed gerbil weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Fringe-tailed gerbil (Gerbilliscus robustus) on average weights 95 grams (0.21 lbs).
The Fringe-tailed gerbil is from the family Muridae (genus: Gerbilliscus). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 14.4 cm (0′ 6″). Usually, Fringe-tailed gerbils have 5 babies per litter.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The fringe-tailed gerbil (Gerbilliscus robustus) is a species of gerbil found in Central African Republic, Chad, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Niger, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, possibly Cameroon, and possibly Nigeria. Its natural habitats are dry savanna, moist savanna, subtropical or tropical dry lowland grassland, arable land and urban areas.
Animals of the same family as a Fringe-tailed gerbil
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Greater mole-rat with a weight of 470 grams
- Gray-bellied pygmy mouse with a weight of 12 grams
- Oecomys roberti with a weight of 73 grams
- Northern Luzon shrew-rat with a size of 10.5 cm (0′ 5″)
- White-footed vole with a weight of 23 grams
- Melanomys caliginosus with a weight of 41 grams
- Small vesper mouse with a weight of 14 grams
- Waterhouse’s swamp rat with a weight of 146 grams
- Gray tree rat with a weight of 150 grams
- Stolička’s mountain vole with a weight of 30 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Fringe-tailed gerbil
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Gerbilliscus robustus:
- Giant kangaroo rat bringing 114 grams to the scale
- Inca Oldfield mouse bringing 77 grams to the scale
- Taiga vole bringing 92 grams to the scale
- Short-tailed hopping mouse bringing 89 grams to the scale
- Hastings River mouse bringing 95 grams to the scale
- San Quintin kangaroo rat bringing 84 grams to the scale
- Long-footed water rat bringing 83 grams to the scale
- Ellerman’s tufted-tailed rat bringing 100 grams to the scale
- Slender rat bringing 97 grams to the scale
- Thomas’s mosaic-tailed rat bringing 90 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Fringe-tailed gerbil
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (5) as a Fringe-tailed gerbil: