It is hard to guess what a Highveld gerbil weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Highveld gerbil (Gerbilliscus brantsii) on average weights 89 grams (0.2 lbs).
The Highveld gerbil is from the family Muridae (genus: Gerbilliscus). It is usually born with about 5 grams (0.01 lbs). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 15.4 cm (0′ 7″). On average, Highveld gerbils can have babies 4 times per year with a litter size of 2.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The Highveld gerbil (Gerbilliscus brantsii) is a species of gerbil found in Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa, Eswatini, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Its natural habitats are dry savanna, temperate shrubland, subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, temperate grassland, and temperate desert. This is a common species with a wide range and the International Union for Conservation of Nature has rated it as being of “least concern”.
Animals of the same family as a Highveld gerbil
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Bartels’s spiny rat with a weight of 88 grams
- Cheesman’s gerbil with a weight of 28 grams
- Spy hocicudo with a weight of 81 grams
- Ashy-bellied Oldfield mouse with a weight of 77 grams
- Short-footed Luzon tree rat with a size of 20 cm (0′ 8″)
- Mindoro black rat with a size of 19 cm (0′ 8″)
- Chestnut white-bellied rat with a weight of 81 grams
- Creek groove-toothed swamp rat with a weight of 121 grams
- Bolivian vesper mouse with a weight of 27 grams
- Hispid hocicudo with a weight of 36 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Highveld gerbil
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Gerbilliscus brantsii:
- Goliath shrew bringing 87 grams to the scale
- Thomas’s mosaic-tailed rat bringing 90 grams to the scale
- Oecomys superans bringing 73 grams to the scale
- Buller’s chipmunk bringing 100 grams to the scale
- Gray-tailed narrow-headed rat bringing 85 grams to the scale
- Patagonian chinchilla mouse bringing 75 grams to the scale
- Lesser ricefield rat bringing 104 grams to the scale
- Crest-tailed mulgara bringing 100 grams to the scale
- Fringe-tailed gerbil bringing 96 grams to the scale
- Major’s tufted-tailed rat bringing 100 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Highveld gerbil
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (2) as a Highveld gerbil: