It is hard to guess what a Pygmy spotted skunk weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Pygmy spotted skunk (Spilogale pygmaea) on average weights 365 grams (0.8 lbs).
The Pygmy spotted skunk is from the family Mustelidae (genus: Spilogale). It is usually born with about 6 grams (0.01 lbs). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 30 cm (1′ 0″). Usually, Pygmy spotted skunks have 4 babies per litter.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The pygmy spotted skunk (Spilogale pygmaea) is a species of mammal in the family Mephitidae. It is endemic to Mexico.
Animals of the same family as a Pygmy spotted skunk
We found other animals of the Mustelidae family:
- Steppe polecat bringing 1.68 kilos (3.7 lbs) to the scale
- Molina’s hog-nosed skunk with a weight of 960 grams
- Saharan striped polecat with a weight of 218 grams
- Wolverine bringing 12.8 kilos (28.22 lbs) to the scale
- Striped skunk bringing 2.4 kilos (5.29 lbs) to the scale
- American marten with a weight of 878 grams
- American mink with a weight of 904 grams
- Honey badger bringing 9 kilos (19.84 lbs) to the scale
- Patagonian weasel with a weight of 225 grams
- European mink with a weight of 567 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Pygmy spotted skunk
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Spilogale pygmaea:
- Golden bandicoot bringing 425 grams to the scale
- Striped possum bringing 413 grams to the scale
- Masoala fork-marked lemur bringing 409 grams to the scale
- Peruvian tree-rat bringing 315 grams to the scale
- Microcebus coquereli bringing 328 grams to the scale
- Mentawai squirrel bringing 296 grams to the scale
- Vanuatu flying fox bringing 396 grams to the scale
- Buffy-headed marmoset bringing 374 grams to the scale
- Silvery marmoset bringing 376 grams to the scale
- Zanj sun squirrel bringing 347 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Pygmy spotted skunk
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (4) as a Pygmy spotted skunk: