How many baby Indian bush rats are in a litter?
A Indian bush rat (Golunda ellioti) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 180 kg (396.83 lbs) and measure 4.8 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Golunda). An adult Indian bush rat grows up to a size of 4.8 cm (0′ 2″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Indian bush rat (Golunda ellioti) is a rodent species in the family Muridae. It is the only member of the genus Golunda.The species is widely distributed in the Indian Subcontinent west to Kohat and east to the Bhutan Dooars. It also occurs in Sri Lanka. As many as 11 subspecies are recognized.The genus name is derived from the Kannada name of Gulandi while the specific name is after Sir Walter Elliot. The nominate form is from southern India. Other forms include limitaris (northwestern limits), paupera (Punjab), watsoni (Sind), gujerati (Gujarat), bombax (Bombay), coraginis (Coorg), coffaeus (Sri Lanka), newera (Sri Lanka), myiothrix (Nepal) and coenosa (Bhutan Duars, Hasimara).
Other animals of the family Muridae
Indian bush rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Gray spiny mouse raching a size of 8.4 cm (0′ 4″)
- Peruvian vesper mouse weighting only 20 grams
- Highveld gerbil with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Robert’s hocicudo weighting only 83 grams
- Campbell’s dwarf hamster with 8 babies per pregnancy
- Luzon hairy-tailed rat weighting only 170 grams
- Angoni vlei rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Black rat with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Jalapan pine vole with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Fire-bellied brush-furred rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Indian bush rat
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Desert pygmy mouse
- Nectomys squamipes
- Hoary marmot
- Parantechinus bilarni
- Rock squirrel
- Dark bolo mouse
- Yellow-bellied marmot
- Tien Shan red-backed vole
- Pygmy gerbil
Animals with the same weight as a Indian bush rat
What other animals weight around 60 grams (0.13 lbs)?
- Smoky mouse weighting 68 grams
- Brown mouse lemur weighting 48 grams
- Greater nectar bat weighting 72 grams
- Obi mosaic-tailed rat weighting 71 grams
- Darwin’s leaf-eared mouse weighting 49 grams
- Golden-brown mouse lemur weighting 58 grams
- Murree vole weighting 52 grams
- Broad-striped dasyure weighting 53 grams
- Insular vole weighting 66 grams
- Transandinomys talamancae weighting 54 grams