It is hard to guess what a Rufous soft-furred spiny rat weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Rufous soft-furred spiny rat (Diplomys labilis) on average weights 282 grams (0.62 lbs).
The Rufous soft-furred spiny rat is from the family Echimyidae (genus: Diplomys). It is usually born with about 59 grams (0.13 lbs). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 7.9 cm (0′ 4″). Usually, Rufous soft-furred spiny rats have 1 babies per litter.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The rufous soft-furred spiny-rat (Diplomys labilis), known as ratón espinoso meaning “spiny” or “thorny” rat in Spanish, is a species of rodent in the family Echimyidae.It is found in Colombia, Ecuador, and Panama. In November 2015, it was spotted for the first time in Osa, Costa Rica by the Costa Rican researcher Jim Córdoba-Alfaro.It is nocturnal and lives in trees, feeding on fruit and young shoots. The females give birth to one or two young, which stay with the mother for about a year before becoming mature.
Animals of the same family as a Rufous soft-furred spiny rat
We found other animals of the Echimyidae family:
- Boyacá spiny rat with a weight of 284 grams
- Short-furred Atlantic tree-rat with a weight of 439 grams
- Woolly-headed spiny tree-rat with a weight of 108 grams
- Armored rat with a weight of 281 grams
- Plain brush-tailed rat with a weight of 105 grams
- Guyenne spiny rat with a weight of 315 grams
- Hairy Atlantic spiny rat with a weight of 285 grams
- Napo spiny rat with a weight of 285 grams
- Soft-spined Atlantic spiny rat with a weight of 167 grams
- Simons’s spiny rat with a weight of 285 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Rufous soft-furred spiny rat
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Diplomys labilis:
- Sucre spiny rat bringing 284 grams to the scale
- Drab Atlantic tree-rat bringing 260 grams to the scale
- Calabar angwantibo bringing 258 grams to the scale
- Yellow-faced pocket gopher bringing 266 grams to the scale
- Yellow-faced pocket gopher bringing 267 grams to the scale
- Short-tailed spiny rat bringing 285 grams to the scale
- Bushy-tailed woodrat bringing 286 grams to the scale
- Colombian spiny rat bringing 312 grams to the scale
- Lyle’s flying fox bringing 319 grams to the scale
- Gray slender loris bringing 254 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Rufous soft-furred spiny rat
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (1) as a Rufous soft-furred spiny rat: