It is hard to guess what a Savi’s pipistrelle weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Savi’s pipistrelle (Hypsugo savii) on average weights 6 grams (0.01 lbs).
The Savi’s pipistrelle is from the family Vespertilionidae (genus: Hypsugo). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 13.1 cm (0′ 6″). On average, Savi’s pipistrelles can have babies 1 times per year with a litter size of 2.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
Savi’s pipistrelle (Hypsugo savii sometimes classified as Pipistrellus savii) is a species of vesper bat found across North West Africa, the Mediterranean region and the Middle East. It feeds at night on flying insects. In the summer it roosts under bark, in holes in trees, in old buildings and in rock crevices but in winter it prefers roosts where the temperature is more even such as caves, underground vaults and deep rock cracks.
Animals of the same family as a Savi’s pipistrelle
We found other animals of the Vespertilionidae family:
- Tiny yellow bat with a weight of 3 grams
- Rusty pipistrelle with a weight of 4 grams
- Mexican big-eared bat with a weight of 7 grams
- Angulate pipistrelle with a weight of 3 grams
- Thick-eared bat with a weight of 8 grams
- Northern bat with a weight of 10 grams
- Birdlike noctule with 1 babies per litter
- Western broad-nosed bat with a weight of 11 grams
- Little yellow bat with a weight of 4 grams
- Pipistrellus babu with a weight of 4 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Savi’s pipistrelle
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Hypsugo savii:
- Desert pygmy mouse bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Kongana shrew bringing 5 grams to the scale
- Malagasy serotine bringing 6 grams to the scale
- White-winged serotine bringing 5 grams to the scale
- Rendall’s serotine bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Stoliczka’s trident bat bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Lesser white-toothed shrew bringing 7 grams to the scale
- Lesser woolly bat bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Wood’s slit-faced bat bringing 7 grams to the scale
- Lesser long-fingered bat bringing 7 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Savi’s pipistrelle
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (2) as a Savi’s pipistrelle: