What is the maximal age a Finless porpoise reaches?
An adult Finless porpoise (Neophocaena phocaenoides) usually gets as old as 23 years.
Finless porpoises are around 319 days in the womb of their mother. When born, they weight 6.66 kg (14.68 lbs) and measure 3 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Phocoenidae family (genus: Neophocaena). Fully grown, they reach a bodylength of 1.8 meter (5′ 11″).
As a reference: Usually, humans get as old as 100 years, with the average being around 75 years. After being carried in the belly of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks), they grow to an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″) and weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual.
The Indo-Pacific finless porpoise (Neophocaena phocaenoides), or finless porpoise, is one of seven porpoise species. Most of the population has been found around the Korean peninsula in the Yellow and East China Seas, although a freshwater population is found around Jiuduansha near Shanghai at the mouth of China’s Yangtze River. Genetic studies indicate that the finless porpoise is the most basal living member of the porpoise family.There is a degree of taxonomic uncertainty surrounding the species, with the N. p. phocaenoides subspecies perhaps representing a different species from N. p. sunameri and N. p. asiaeorientalis, currently reclassified as the narrow-ridged finless porpoise.
Animals of the same family as a Finless porpoise
Not really brothers and sisters, but from the same biological family (Phocoenidae):
- Australophocaena dioptrica growing to a mass of 65 kgs (143.3 lbs)
- Dall’s porpoise becoming 22 years old
- Burmeister’s porpoise growing to a mass of 60 kgs (132.28 lbs)
- Spectacled porpoise growing to a mass of 65 kgs (143.3 lbs)
- Vaquita growing to a mass of 43.11 kgs (95.04 lbs)
- Harbour porpoise becoming 15 years old
Animals that reach the same age as Finless porpoise
With an average age of 23 years, Finless porpoise are in good companionship of the following animals:
- Scimitar oryx usually reaching 20.42 years
- Brown-mantled tamarin usually reaching 24.5 years
- Goat usually reaching 20.75 years
- Northern plains gray langur usually reaching 25 years
- Black wildebeest usually reaching 20 years
- Ursine tree-kangaroo usually reaching 20.17 years
- South American sea lion usually reaching 24.75 years
- East Caucasian tur usually reaching 22 years
- Big brown bat usually reaching 20 years
- Bongo (antelope) usually reaching 19.42 years
Weighting as much as Finless porpoise
A fully grown Finless porpoise reaches around 32.5 kg (71.65 lbs). So do these animals:
- Mongolian gazelle weighting 28.22 kilos (62.21 lbs) on average
- Red goral weighting 28.68 kilos (63.23 lbs) on average
- Red wolf weighting 26.7 kilos (58.86 lbs) on average
- Red kangaroo weighting 38.98 kilos (85.94 lbs) on average
- Gerenuk weighting 38.65 kilos (85.21 lbs) on average
- Chacoan peccary weighting 35.38 kilos (78 lbs) on average
- Southern hairy-nosed wombat weighting 26.18 kilos (57.72 lbs) on average
- Dwarf blue sheep weighting 29.27 kilos (64.53 lbs) on average
- Sheep weighting 37.47 kilos (82.61 lbs) on average
- Mountain reedbuck weighting 29.2 kilos (64.37 lbs) on average