How many baby African manatees are in a litter?
A African manatee (Trichechus senegalensis) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 380 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 29.62 kg (65.3 lbs) and measure 12.5 cm (0′ 5″). They are a member of the Trichechidae family (genus: Trichechus). An adult African manatee grows up to a size of 3.5 meter (11′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The African manatee (Trichechus senegalensis), also known as the West African manatee, is a species of manatee that is mostly herbivorous. African manatees inhabit much of the western region of Africa – from Senegal to Angola. Although not a great deal is known about this species, it is hypothesized that the African manatee is very similar to the West Indian manatee (Trichechus manatus).
Other animals of the family Trichechidae
African manatee is a member of the Trichechidae, as are these animals:
Animals that share a litter size with African manatee
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Brazilian brown bat
- Short-eared possum
- Common tsessebe
- Little Japanese horseshoe bat
- Silver dik-dik
- Least horseshoe bat
- Mantled guereza
- Silky anteater
- Azara’s night monkey
- Sambar deer
Animals with the same weight as a African manatee
What other animals weight around 454 kg (1000.9 lbs)?
- Plains zebra usually reaching 400 kgs (881.85 lbs)
- Domestic yak usually reaching 500 kgs (1102.31 lbs)
- Dromedary usually reaching 490.36 kgs (1081.06 lbs)
- Pygmy sperm whale usually reaching 431.25 kgs (950.74 lbs)
- Horse usually reaching 401.8 kgs (885.82 lbs)
- Polar bear usually reaching 373.35 kgs (823.09 lbs)
- West Indian manatee usually reaching 467.16 kgs (1029.91 lbs)
- Moose usually reaching 471.45 kgs (1039.37 lbs)
- Moose usually reaching 541.46 kgs (1193.71 lbs)
- Grévy’s zebra usually reaching 405.5 kgs (893.97 lbs)
Animals with the same size as a African manatee
Also reaching around 3.5 meter (11′ 6″) in size do these animals:
- Pygmy beaked whale gets as big as 3.72 meter (12′ 3″)
- West Indian manatee gets as big as 3.5 meter (11′ 6″)
- Leopard seal gets as big as 3.05 meter (10′ 0″)
- White-beaked dolphin gets as big as 3.05 meter (10′ 1″)
- Common bottlenose dolphin gets as big as 2.83 meter (9′ 4″)
- Indian rhinoceros gets as big as 3.74 meter (12′ 4″)
- Black rhinoceros gets as big as 2.85 meter (9′ 5″)
- Moose gets as big as 2.83 meter (9′ 4″)
- Northern giraffe gets as big as 4.18 meter (13′ 9″)
- European bison gets as big as 2.9 meter (9′ 7″)