How many baby Checkered elephant shrews are in a litter?
A Checkered elephant shrew (Rhynchocyon cirnei) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 4 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 4 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 80 grams (0.18 lbs) and measure 2.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Macroscelididae family (genus: Rhynchocyon). An adult Checkered elephant shrew grows up to a size of 27.3 cm (0′ 11″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The checkered elephant shrew or checkered sengi (Rhynchocyon cirnei) is a species of elephant shrew in the family Macroscelididae.
Other animals of the family Macroscelididae
Checkered elephant shrew is a member of the Macroscelididae, as are these animals:
- Short-snouted elephant shrew with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Bushveld elephant shrew with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Golden-rumped elephant shrew with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Macroscelides proboscideus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Somali elephant shrew weighting only 32 grams
- Dusky-footed elephant shrew weighting only 57 grams
- North African elephant shrew with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Dusky elephant shrew with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Western rock elephant shrew with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Rufous elephant shrew with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Checkered elephant shrew
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Indian muntjac
- Smoky pocket gopher
- Juan Fernández fur seal
- Collared peccary
- Dent’s mona monkey
- Caribbean monk seal
- Yellow-tailed woolly monkey
- Dormer’s bat
- Java mouse-deer
- Roosevelt’s muntjac
Animals with the same weight as a Checkered elephant shrew
What other animals weight around 424 grams (0.93 lbs)?
- Mariana fruit bat weighting 458 grams
- Brown-mantled tamarin weighting 393 grams
- Big-eared flying fox weighting 365 grams
- Southern Amazon red squirrel weighting 403 grams
- Merriam’s pocket gopher weighting 420 grams
- Short-tailed chinchilla weighting 500 grams
- Short-furred Atlantic tree-rat weighting 439 grams
- Azara’s tuco-tuco weighting 400 grams
- Common yellow-toothed cavy weighting 387 grams
- Gray four-eyed opossum weighting 426 grams