How many baby Roosevelt’s muntjacs are in a litter?
A Roosevelt’s muntjac (Muntiacus rooseveltorum) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 212 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 6 cm (0′ 3″). They are a member of the Cervidae family (genus: Muntiacus). An adult Roosevelt’s muntjac grows up to a size of 10.4 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
A single specimen of the Roosevelt’s muntjac or Roosevelt’s barking deer (Muntiacus rooseveltorum) was presented to the Field Museum in 1929 following the Kelley-Roosevelts expedition organized by Theodore (Jnr) and Kermit Roosevelt. The specimen is slightly smaller than the common muntjac and DNA testing has shown it to be distinct from recently discovered muntjac species. It is a subspecies of Fea’s muntjac, whose home range is mountains further northwest separated by lower land. However, without further evidence, the exact position of Roosevelt’s muntjac cannot be stated. Berlin Zoo supposedly held this species between 1961 and 1972 (following an import from Northern Vietnam) but it could have been an Indian muntjac subspecies annamensis.Roosevelt’s muntjac was believed to have been extinct since 1929. However, there have been several recent claims to have rediscovered the species, from evidence including skulls owned by villagers in the Truong Son (Annamite) mountains of northern Laos and far northwestern Vietnam. More recently, photographs from a camera trap at Xuan Lien Nature Reserve in Vietnam appear to have identified two individuals.
Other animals of the family Cervidae
Roosevelt’s muntjac is a member of the Cervidae, as are these animals:
- Dwarf brocket with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Eld’s deer with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Indian hog deer with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Sika deer with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Tufted deer with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Taruca with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Mérida brocket weighting around 16.5 kilograms (36.38 lbs)
- Little red brocket with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Chital with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Père David’s deer with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Roosevelt’s muntjac
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Greater long-nosed bat
- Spix’s night monkey
- Scimitar oryx
- Nancy Ma’s night monkey
- Hershkovitz’s titi
- Banana pipistrelle
- Eastern forest bat
- Hardwicke’s woolly bat
- Admiralty Island cuscus
- Ogilby’s duiker
Animals with the same weight as a Roosevelt’s muntjac
What other animals weight around 10.76 kg (23.73 lbs)?
- Black-footed gray langur usually reaching 10.03 kgs (22.11 lbs)
- Canada lynx usually reaching 9.73 kgs (21.45 lbs)
- Mountain paca usually reaching 9 kgs (19.84 lbs)
- Dwarf musk deer usually reaching 12.39 kgs (27.32 lbs)
- Whiptail wallaby usually reaching 12.67 kgs (27.93 lbs)
- Marine otter usually reaching 11.2 kgs (24.69 lbs)
- Pudú usually reaching 9.6 kgs (21.16 lbs)
- Barbary macaque usually reaching 11.49 kgs (25.33 lbs)
- Tenkile usually reaching 9.98 kgs (22 lbs)
- Toolache wallaby usually reaching 10 kgs (22.05 lbs)